1u tray?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cyberlocc

Sep 1, 2017
Hey guys I was hoping someone could be of assistance in locating a 1u tray. Idk if that is the proper term for what I need, but it's the best I could think of.

What I basically need is a 1u shelf, with sides that go the full height of 1u and a closed back that also does such. The front needs to remain open, as does the top and I need it preferably 13 inches or more.

I have looked at project boxes, but there designs leave them unstable in that use case.

What I am trying to do, is duct my rack, so the bottom fans are ducted to the front of the rack. So the shelf/tray whatever will be turned upside down in the last U, with foam on the floor. This way all air from the bottom filtered fans goes and stays in the front section of the rack.

Any ideas where I can find such a shelf? All I can find is vented, or the side rails curve and there is no backplate. I can make a rear plate if needed, however the side rails must still be full height front to back.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Sounds like a good case for a roll of aluminum that you get at the local hardware shop for duct work. Shape and trim to size and round the correct corners for smooth airflow. Would be a lot cheaper than the solid 1U shelves I have seen and custom fit since you will ned to go below the bottom of the bottom 1U I expect to actually capture all the air and force it to the front.

Barring that you can try a normal solid 1U shelf and a filler panel to block the back of the rack.

cyberlocc

Sep 1, 2017
Sounds like a good case for a roll of aluminum that you get at the local hardware shop for duct work. Shape and trim to size and round the correct corners for smooth airflow. Would be a lot cheaper than the solid 1U shelves I have seen and custom fit since you will ned to go below the bottom of the bottom 1U I expect to actually capture all the air and force it to the front.

Barring that you can try a normal solid 1U shelf and a filler panel to block the back of the rack.
The issue with the aluminum is the ducted area. So I have 1.5 inches before the first U, the fans being 25mm, and raised by the panel they mount on another 1/8 of an inch, that would leave 3/8s gap between the fans and the metal, which just doesn't seem like enough for the serious amount of airflow.

There will be 4 Noctua 140mm 3000rpm fans, blowing air out of that small gap. I could resolve that by mounting the fans on the bottom, however that isn't ideal for obvious reasons, and noise.

Edit forgot, the metal would also impede height, and would actually fit. Though I could use the UPS for the purpose of ducting it. Though again, that leaves a pretty small airflow channel.

That said, I was forgetting about the 7 inches of the sides that would be freespace for air. That may be the idea I go with.

Even the likes of a 1u drawer or shelf could then finish the duct.

cyberlocc

Sep 1, 2017
Why not just use a 1U chassis?
The rigidity would be poor with a chassis is why. I would need to remove the front entirely and the top.

I think I have found a good plan. Best I will find anyway.

The rails currently have 1.5 inch to the top and 1.5 to the bottom. So I am going to remount the rails, so there is 1 inch to top and 2 inches to bottom. Then in the bottom U, mount a Penn Elcom 1U drawer.

This will seal the duct, and allow 1 inch gap above the fans, plus the sides for air to run out. The downside is when the drawer is opened the duct is broken. However, if the drawer is opened, then the door is opened, so the airflow is broken anyway.

I didn't want a hot box, ducting the air, do to feeding heat into the cool air, so the UPS will be above the drawer then servers. The drawer is handy for storing Hard drives anyway. So it's a good use of the 1u.

The top of the Rack doesn't have a fan/fans, well it does, however they are in the rear door so they can be ducted out of the house. So raising the rails 1/2 inch won't hurt exhaust.