1U server with 1 GPU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Scampicfx

May 6, 2017
Hey,

I'm looking for a 1U server chassis with enough space for a double width graphic card of GTX1000 series (e.g. 1050). If it helps: The graphic card may be low profile! While googling, I found following servers:

1.)
Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5019P-WTR
I like the options this chassis provides: 2 FHFL slots and 1 Low-Profile slot. This is awesome for a 1U chassis!
However, I am worried when looking at PCIE power connectors of consumer graphic cards. I think it might be difficult (impossible?) to install GPU with PCIE power connectors in this chassis?
I'm also not quite sure, if this chassis can handle double width GPU card? From Supermicro I got the information, that the rear windows are fixed. But I don't know exactly, how this affects installing a double width GPU?

2.)
Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 5019GP-TT
Well, this server looks more clean in regard to GPU compatibility. Furthermore, I think, PCIE power connectors should be no problem at this chassis. However, when looking at the price, this chassis / server is far more expensive, I guess.

Therefore I would like to ask if you can recommend any 1U chassis that supports a proper installing of one GPU with PCIE power connector? Basically, I don't have high demands and would be happy with small servers with cpus like Xeon E3v6 series. The reason I'm looking for (industrial) servers is, because

a) this server needs to be placed in a remote location
b) and therefore I need IPMI to switch this thing on and off ;)

This server is intended for streaming media to a 4K display with support for Dolby Vision and HDR. Maybe, sometimes, also a bit of gaming. At website of Zotac I found some small nice devices like this one ( MAGNUS EN51050 | ZOTAC ), however this system has no remote administration features like IPMI... As long as the device is small, its okay as well... The maximum possible space I can mount is 1U! And IPMI is required! ;)

PS: One last question: when sending media signal to TV via HDMI, is in this case any audio chip or any sound card necessary or is a graphic card sufficient for delivering both video and audio?

Thanks to all of you for reading! :)

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
There are some quadro cards that work in single slot pcie. Can probably get a 1050 or 1060 equivalent quadro card in a single slot. I'll check the models and post here again.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
The Quadro P2000 and P4000 appear to be single slot, so should work fine in a 1U. P2000 is rated for 75w max so shouldn't need pcie power.

Based on the info I can find, the P2000, with 5GB ram, is basically a slightly tuned-down GTX 1060, with a bit fewer cores, a little lower speed, and 5GB ram vs 6GB. The upside is that being downtuned, it fits into 75w pcie slot power (and single slot cooling), whereas a "real" 1060 will need a 6-pin connector and 2 slots. Should run $400-500, which is a little spendy, but given how crazy 1060 prices have gone, not too much more these days.

For what it's worth, the quadro series cards, P2000 and higher, support unlimited simulatenous transcoding sessions (subject to the card's performance), vs the GTX supports a maximum of two at once. If memory serves, the P2000 works just as well for transcoding as all but the most expensive Quadros, and has enough performance for something like 10x 1080P 30FPS transcodes simultaneously.

Looking at the spec sheets, I would guess the P1000 is likely a downtuned GTX 1050ti (47w max power) and the P4000 is likely a downtuned GTX 1070 (105w max power).

P4000 -looks like- it has a 6 or 8 pin pcie on the rear of the card (they don't have pics with a good angle on that part of the card).

P1000 appears to be $300-400. P4000 appears to be $800-900.

So my recommendation for what you've described is the P2000. No pcie power needed, single slot, reasonable power use, reasonable performance.

If you want something beefier, P4000 may work if you have a pcie power cable available.

If you don't want to spend the money, get a gtx 1050 or gtx 1050ti, and put up with it taking two slots / 2u -- but it won't need a pcie power cable.

FYI, if you need pcie power in a server not designed for that, they make adapter cables to convert the 8-pin EPS to a 2x 8-pin pcie. That way, use a 4-pin eps on each motherboard 8-pin cpu power connector (this will work fine for cpus < 100w tdp, and probably also ok at 115w tdp), and use the 8-pin eps cable (along with adapter cable) to power a gpu.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
The Quadro P2000 and P4000 appear to be single slot, so should work fine in a 1U. P2000 is rated for 75w max so shouldn't need pcie power.

Based on the info I can find, the P2000, with 5GB ram, is basically a slightly tuned-down GTX 1060, with a bit fewer cores, a little lower speed, and 5GB ram vs 6GB. The upside is that being downtuned, it fits into 75w pcie slot power (and single slot cooling), whereas a "real" 1060 will need a 6-pin connector and 2 slots. Should run $400-500, which is a little spendy, but given how crazy 1060 prices have gone, not too much more these days.

For what it's worth, the quadro series cards, P2000 and higher, support unlimited simulatenous transcoding sessions (subject to the card's performance), vs the GTX supports a maximum of two at once. If memory serves, the P2000 works just as well for transcoding as all but the most expensive Quadros, and has enough performance for something like 10x 1080P 30FPS transcodes simultaneously.

Looking at the spec sheets, I would guess the P1000 is likely a downtuned GTX 1050ti (47w max power) and the P4000 is likely a downtuned GTX 1070 (105w max power).

P4000 -looks like- it has a 6 or 8 pin pcie on the rear of the card (they don't have pics with a good angle on that part of the card).

P1000 appears to be $300-400. P4000 appears to be $800-900.

So my recommendation for what you've described is the P2000. No pcie power needed, single slot, reasonable power use, reasonable performance.

If you want something beefier, P4000 may work if you have a pcie power cable available.

If you don't want to spend the money, get a gtx 1050 or gtx 1050ti, and put up with it taking two slots / 2u -- but it won't need a pcie power cable.

FYI, if you need pcie power in a server not designed for that, they make adapter cables to convert the 8-pin EPS to a 2x 8-pin pcie. That way, use a 4-pin eps on each motherboard 8-pin cpu power connector (this will work fine for cpus < 100w tdp, and probably also ok at 115w tdp), and use the 8-pin eps cable (along with adapter cable) to power a gpu.
FWIW, 1060s normally draw ~120w and 1050Tis ~60w. So a P2000 at 75w wouldn't be far above a 1050 Ti in raw performance.

Also, I've been keeping a close eye on Nvidia GPU prices, and they're definitely coming off the highs. Used 1060 3gb cards are available at the $275 range on ebay right now.

Scampicfx

May 6, 2017
Hey,

thanks a lot for your answers. That's a good hint regarding Quadro GPUs. I will have a look at them :)