1U Server or Wall Mount enclosure for single drive

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ro345

Jul 31, 2017
Hi All,
I'm looking for a low power, quiet 1U case to run a small 3TB NAS serving NFS. I have the 3 TB drive, so I need a case and a motherboard. It will only be using NFS, since I will be using it as a Vmware replication datastore. I would probably run Unraid on it(single disk, no parity), Debian, or if it is a NAS device already that would be fine if it already supports nfs. The key here is that it supports NFS, is quiet, low power, and supports a 3tb drive. I would also look into a single drive NAS enclosure, since I could probably figure out how to wall mount that. Open to suggestions. Looking to spend up to $100 and buying something used off of ebay is preferred. I have a used Buffalo Linkstation on the way, but that looks like a lot of work to get it able to serve NFS. Let me know your ideas. Thanks!

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
1u server with pwm run arrays of 4cm fans at ~4k rpm, that's definetly not quiet and you don't want to be near it for longer periods.

Is $100 your total budget?

ro345

Jul 31, 2017
Yeah, $100 is the total budget, I have the 3TB drive already. I've seen a few supermicro atom servers that pop up on ebay for around $100. I was thinking maybe one of those would work. Or some kind of 1 bay Synology device. But I'm certainly open to suggestions.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
I would buy a used i5 Dell/HP SFF off of ebay for ~$100, it is larger than the 1U. but you would have everything you need to do this.

Chris