1U server deal enquiry

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mmk

Oct 15, 2016
Czech Republic
If you're using it for rendering or such it will be loud as the CPU(s) will likely run at 100%. The fans will have to spin really fast to get that generated heat out. If you don't have a separate machine room I would skip it. Alternatively buy the box and re-case it..it may be worth it if the deal is good enough.

The machine should be quite good for the job, not brand new but not a disaster either. Loads of these generation CPUs in use out there in the 'enterprise'.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Thanks all for the advice! Very useful! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
If you're using it for rendering or such it will be loud as the CPU(s) will likely run at 100%. The fans will have to spin really fast to get that generated heat out. If you don't have a separate machine room I would skip it. Alternatively buy the box and re-case it..it may be worth it if the deal is good enough.
It is going to be louder than <BLEEP> at full load and quiet possibly thermal throttle the processors.

An alternative to putting it in a new box is to replace the processor heat sink and fan with a large tower model. No, you won't be able to put the cover on, but it will be a LOT quieter. I did that with a couple of X5670's when I gave up trying to keep them cool in 1U. It looks kinda funky but it works. I moved then to a 2U chassis which works MUCH better.