EXPIRED $160 Supermicro X11DPU include shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
Not for everyone but if you have a 829U/819U chassis with old board this could be a good update. Seller ask for 188 and accepted my 160 offer.

Genuine SuperMicro X11DPU Dual Socket LGA3647 Motherboard SYS-1029U. | eBay

Same seller also has fully configured 6029U for $330 and extra shipping around $60:
Supermicro SYS-6029U-E1CR4T 2x Xeon 4110 2.1GHz CPUs 32G RAM 2U Server | eBay

A while back when there was no purchases I received an offer from seller . $280 for the fully configured server. Now seller made 4 sales the offer might not stand anymore.

I received my board two days ago and it works "well" inside my 6028U server. The problem is there are 3 standoffs are not aligned (in the middle, close to 2nd rise and 2nd CPU). I taped them (no metal contact but still provide support). So far so good.

Not for everyone but very cheap to upgrade from x10 to x11.

Edit:
Who ever need heatsink for this I found a deal here:
New!!Lot of 5) Supermicro SNK-P0068PS 2U Passive CPU Heat Sink X11 Purley Socke | eBay
It's 5 brand new heatsinks. seller accepted $40 offer.

Last edited:

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
Almost everyone shut down bios/firmware upgrade/update support and SM won't work if it's OEM. You would need to flash SM versions.
According to seller this is an OEM board. Comes with bios 3.8a (early 2023). It works well for me (my old x10DRU is also an OEM board).

Edit: I can upgrade IPMI without issue, just bios seems not accepted (tried 4.2 yesterday).

Last edited:

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
I am hoping to use this for hosting lots of VMs and passing through GPU for hw acceleration for media transcoding (eg plex).

Questions I haven't been able to find out:
  • Bios support bifurication (e.g. 4/4/4/4 for PCIe 16x expansion cards to support 4 NVMe m.2)?
  • Does this include the optional four nvme drive support?
  • Bios support resizeable bar (ReBAR) for Intel Arc GPU cards? I see it has Above 4G Decoding but is not the same.
  • Is this a loud system/fan noise?

nexox

May 3, 2023
Supermicro LGA3647 systems can generally bifurcate all or at least most slots, though configuring it in the BIOS is kind of a mess, the complete system appears to have the four OCuLink ports connected to the backplane, so it should support 4 NVMe drives in hot swap bays, and the 2U chassis can be made quieter with fan swaps and active CPU coolers, but stock isn't particularly nice sounding.

Reactions: xulion and Thomas H

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
I am hoping to use this for hosting lots of VMs and passing through GPU for hw acceleration for media transcoding (eg plex).

Questions I haven't been able to find out:
  • Bios support bifurication (e.g. 4/4/4/4 for PCIe 16x expansion cards to support 4 NVMe m.2)?
  • Does this include the optional four nvme drive support?
  • Bios support resizeable bar (ReBAR) for Intel Arc GPU cards? I see it has Above 4G Decoding but is not the same.
  • Is this a loud system/fan noise?
The full system seems have N4 variation of the backplane (by looking at the picture there are 4 cables connected to the main board). BPN-SAS3-826A-N4 (or N2 with 2 NVME support) is the backplane you need to have 4 NVME support. Seller did not mention that. I'm just judging by the photo. (seller did say " Support 2 m.2 ssd(1 data 1 name) " but I'm not quite sure).

My understanding is it also comes down to the riser as well. The riser (on the power supply side) needs to be AOC-2UR8N4-i2XT. this riser has 4 NVME connectors but the riser itself is quite expensive.

This system is loud, very loud.

Reactions: Thomas H

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
its a shame the sellers i usualy buy from is out of cheap 829u atm.
could pickup a 50-60€ barebone/CTO 819u 4LFF, but after mobo+heatsinks thats gone be more expensive than just getting a 4LFF scalable cisco/lenovo box.

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
Supermicro LGA3647 systems can generally bifurcate all or at least most slots, though configuring it in the BIOS is kind of a mess, the complete system appears to have the four OCuLink ports connected to the backplane, so it should support 4 NVMe drives in hot swap bays, and the 2U chassis can be made quieter with fan swaps and active CPU coolers, but stock isn't particularly nice sounding.
with this board there is no need for specific riser? I haven't go through the manual yet but this is cool!

Reactions: nexox

nexox

May 3, 2023
with this board there is no need for specific riser? I haven't go through the manual yet but this is cool!
The feature summary on the Supermicro product page for the X11DPU says "4 PCIe 3.0 NVMe x4 Internal Port(s)", there are two behind each socket. I thought the nvme ultra riser was mostly for X10 systems.

Reactions: xulion

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Supermicro LGA3647 systems can generally bifurcate all or at least most slots, though configuring it in the BIOS is kind of a mess,....
Only if you don't know what you are doing.
.... the complete system appears to have the four OCuLink ports connected to the backplane, so it should support 4 NVMe drives in hot swap bays ...
Bifurcation settings can interfere with NVMe connections through 4N-backplanes depending how the backplane has been set up in terms of which NVMe port was allocated to which CPU.
... and the 2U chassis can be made quieter with fan swaps and active CPU coolers, but stock isn't particularly nice sounding.
I would be careful restricting airflow in these by lowering fan rpm's if PCIe is loaded in the back and HDD's are used in the front.
... The riser (on the power supply side) needs to be AOC-2UR8N4-i2XT. this riser has 4 NVME connectors but the riser itself is quite expensive.
Incorrect.
This system is loud, very loud.
Incorrect.

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
You are correct about I'm incorrect about the NVME support (nexox pointed it out too). :D

The noise, it's compare to my dl380 G9 and supermicro 847. I have 380 with me in same room and I'm fine. I cannot live with 847 due to the noise. 829 is louder than 847.

nexox

May 3, 2023
Only if you don't know what you are doing.
You have to reference the block diagram in the manual, keeping in mind which riser configuration you have, and it's easy to break stuff like the NVMe ports, that's "kind of a mess" in my opinion.

I would be careful restricting airflow in these by lowering fan rpm's if PCIe is loaded in the back and HDD's are used in the front.
Yeah it requires care but it's still possible, especially if you aren't running maximum TDP components in every socket and slot.

Thomas H

Dec 2, 2017
Anyone successfully tried vGPU passthrough using Intel Arc or QuickSync on Supermicro X11 motherboards to share GPU between multiple VMs?

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Yes, I'm upgrading from x10DRU. I'm reusing my previous risers. The only problem I have for the upgrading is the standoffs I mentioned.
You just flex the one 'in the middle' off and screw the flexed part with the screw to the board to support it. The other 2 misplaced on the side of socket 1 you can fix easily by removing the standoffs and screw them into the 2 wholes supporting the board.

Reactions: xulion

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
Seller updated price for both complete system and the motherboard. Not good deal anymore.

zackiv31

May 16, 2016
I got this same system from another seller but also cannot update the BIOS (BMC updated fine). I tried to follow the suggestion from the X10 thread (https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-trtp-x10dru-i-barebone-349.30584/post-414803) , but `/GAN` doesn't seem to be supported. I tried BIOS 4.2 and BIOS 3.8. Anyone know a version of `afuefi.smc` that supports `/GAN` that works on this motherboard to flash an non OEM version of the BIOS?

Reactions: Iaroslav