16 Sockets for $840 + free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
This would be VERY tempting as sfp+.
But 16x base-t transceivers would cost me more than the unit itself...

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I don't own a forklift so I'll have to pass on this one.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I don't own a forklift so I'll have to pass on this one.
A pallet jack can be your friend. :D

Funny story--I used to own one of these in a previous business and sold it for 1/2 what I paid for it even though it was barely used. Our neighboring business was getting rid of an old forklift that we got for a song and needed badly since our inventory delivery trucks had no liftgates on them.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I own a lift table that helps me remove and add servers to the rack. It's parked in the hallway when not in use and is a PITA to get around. If I had a pallet jack or, heaven forbid, a forklift, I wouldn't have any place to park them. :p

• Haha

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
So 1) its free shipping and 2) its nodes, so you can easily empty the chassis out before you move it, right? On your doorstep, you can cut away the shipping container, unload the 8 nodes and 4 PSUs, move the empty chassis into position, and then load it up again. Easy peasey! :p

Lots of trips to get it all moved, and it will surely be loud as heck once its installed. But hey, you sometimes need to suffer for your art, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
So 1) its free shipping and 2) its nodes, so you can easily empty the chassis out before you move it, right? On your doorstep, you can cut away the shipping container, unload the 8 nodes and 4 PSUs, move the empty chassis into position, and then load it up again. Easy peasey! :p

Lots of trips to get it all moved, and it will surely be loud as heck once its installed. But hey, you sometimes need to suffer for your art, right?
Just one more little detail. What the heck would I use it for? It would have to pay for itself or else the electric bill will send me to the poor house. Does the poor house still exist? Nah, the streets have taken it's place.:p

• Haha

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I own a lift table that helps me remove and add servers to the rack. It's parked in the hallway when not in use and is a PITA to get around. If I had a pallet jack or, heaven forbid, a forklift, I wouldn't have any place to park them. :p
Wow! And I was actually kidding about the pallet jack! LOL!

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Just one more little detail. What the heck would I use it for? It would have to pay for itself or else the electric bill will send me to the poor house. Does the poor house still exist? Nah, the streets have taken it's place.:p
Yep, can confirm--the streets of downtown SF look like camping grounds. :eek::oops:o_O

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Uh....are we supposed to have a use for this stuff? That's purely optional isn't it? At least I hope it is.......
I'm not gonna double my power bill for nothing, LOL.

Nothing scarier than pulling a 4U chassis far enough out the rack to get the lid off. I always park the lift table under it just in case.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
beside uses in the data center who can use it? just curious.
Anybody wanting more than one server in their lab?
If doing cluster based setups the 8in1/4in1/2in1 etc multi node setups are perfect.

In general they have a fair bit lower wattage than a stack of regular 2U boxes from often sharing cooling/power boards, and less management systems that you dont actualy use anyhow.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm not gonna double my power bill for nothing, LOL.

Nothing scarier than pulling a 4U chassis far enough out the rack to get the lid off. I always park the lift table under it just in case.
Yeah, if you aren't needing another 16 CPUs (or aren't replacing 8 servers) then its a luxury... a power sucking luxury. Power consumption and noise levels are actually really good for what they are...but they're still 8 dual processor servers.

As long as there's room behind the rack, the great thing about these is that you generally don't have to pull them out. Nodes in one end, disks in the other. Pulling a node to work on it is as easy as pulling a PSU. Individually, they are aren't super bulky. You just need a workbench/table to put them on.

Anybody wanting more than one server in their lab?
If doing cluster based setups the 8in1/4in1/2in1 etc multi node setups are perfect.

In general they have a fair bit lower wattage than a stack of regular 2U boxes from often sharing cooling/power boards, and less management systems that you dont actualy use anyhow.
I volunteer at an educational non-profit with a thrift/resale operation. When they get donations of anything vaguely tech related, usually from local businesses, I get to take it all home to play with...uh...TEST...so that we can price it for resale. We got a 4 node Fat Twin (prior gen X9s) once and I really liked it. I liked it so much, it took me a couple weeks to test it ;) . The nodes were pretty quiet for being 1U, and no where near as loud as something like a VRTX. Not as dense as a VRTX either, but it was still pretty dense at 8 CPUs in 2U. And because these use pretty standard hot swap PSUs, there's no need for special power. They will run on a regular outlet, assuming it can handle the amperage.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
If I got a house and rack I'd consider buying that. Noone is forcing you to use all the nodes at the same time. You can run 2-3 nodes and be future proof.