15w mobile CPU in a 2U chassis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

John M.

Mar 7, 2016
Any suggestions on getting an intel U class CPU (or 15w equivalent) in a 2U form factor?

I'm looking to replace my current X9 board with E3-1220 v2 cpu because of power concerns.

But I would like to keep some (3x) SATA interfaces around for my SSD's to keep things simple.

Dual NIC or PCIe slot would also be interesting.

Does this even exist?

Supermicro has some iot boards but they lack sata...

Cheers!
Karel.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
At idle, most modern CPUs are going to be similar to the mobile counterparts. There's not much of an advantage these days to lower TDP components like that and any power savings will be negated by the higher component price. Supermicro released a few X9 generation ITX motherboards with mobile CPUs (I owned one), but demand just isn't there anymore. Anything that remains would be niche industrial motherboards which are going to come at a considerable price premium.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
FWIW - E3-1220L V2 has been the lowest powered (non mobile\micro) mATX system I've run 17-20w

You could put that in a SM 2U 216 but powering the backplane, fans, etc will add another 17w-20w :D