UK 15.36TB Samsung PM1733 NVMe SSDs for £389.99, plus other bits from the same seller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
too bad they dont ship to the US. 3 of these would completely replace my Freenas box.
They probably need to be formatted from 520b to 512b, but i'm not sure if that is the case with nvme drives. I know sas drives needed to be reformatted.
The seller may ship to the US if you ask him. eBay's global shipping is zero effort for sellers, and you'd probably get to take the 20% UK VAT off the price too.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
I reached out about U.S. shipping and can report back. Too good a deal not to ask--even with the power consumption I think I'd win out on consolidation vs. four or more smaller drives.

Reactions: nev_neo

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
I wanted to buy 4 of these but need to do my due diligence before hand.
I agree that they should work with all modern operating systems.
I plan on using these in supermicro server with NVMe bays with windows server. The firmware is custom EMC so maybe that is the issue.
I found this GitHub issue which talks about how to flash the stock drive to fix SR-IOV on them. The same process might flash stock firmware to these?

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
I looked around to see if stock firmware is available for download but i couldn't find it anywhere

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
That issue has a version of the stock firmware if you're willing to trust it. Samsung on the other hand don't seem to redistribute FW readily.

bryan_v

Nov 5, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
www.linkedin.com
Oh yea that was hidden, oh well given it's PCIe Gen3, can't really do much in 30 hours.
Sent the dude a msg about shipping to Canada, lets see. Ebay won't even let you checkout if your shipping address is not the EU or UK.

Damo

Sep 7, 2022
Even with this great price seems no more sold today.

Tempting but I don't have use case for that much NVMe storage.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Oh yea that was hidden, oh well given it's PCIe Gen3, can't really do much in 30 hours.
Sent the dude a msg about shipping to Canada, lets see. Ebay won't even let you checkout if your shipping address is not the EU or UK.
In the EU (Portugal) and it won't let me check out so it's not all of the EU.

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
I got a message to say the managers are discussing it. I wouldn't expect an answer today/over the weekend though as they seem to work normal 9-5 hours.

The drives I bought were shipped today and should be here by Monday. I'll try to check SMART stats etc and post them up when I receive them.

Reactions: VMman

OP_Reinfold

Sep 8, 2023
Lurker here, thought I'd chime in.

I've bought these exact drives from another seller just last month.

Results from experience:
  • Firmware is locked and is not upgradeable and can't be crossflashed outside of a Dell EMC Controller and the appropriate EMC signed firmware.
  • They are locked to generation 3 speed, and they also have a slow Q1 speed for a PM1733 drive irrespective of gen.
  • They do not idle down to low power, tend to idle to around the 12-15watts mark.
  • I have a retail PM1733 which runs considerably cooler, probably relative to the above. (about 10 degrees hotter than retail)
  • Their namespace functionality is rather limited/unsupported, lost a whole namespace while trying to slice the drive.
When things are really cheap, there is a reason for it. Outside of bulk online storage where energy/cooling costs are no-concern, I wouldn't recommend these drives to most. They are designed/tuned to work with Dell EMC SAN controller and as such they lack fully tested implementation of features which the standard Dell OEM or Samsung retail drives offer.

Still great drives, though I would recommend wait for the usual Dell/HPE OEM server drives to also come down in price, at least they come with firmware support, more energy efficient and run considerably cooler.

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
Lurker here, thought I'd chime in.

I've bought these exact drives from another seller just last month.

Results from experience:
  • Firmware is locked and is not upgradeable and can't be crossflashed outside of a Dell EMC Controller and the appropriate EMC signed firmware.
  • They are locked to generation 3 speed, and they also have a slow Q1 speed for a PM1733 drive irrespective of gen.
  • They do not idle down to low power, tend to idle to around the 12-15watts mark.
  • I have a retail PM1733 which runs considerably cooler, probably relative to the above. (about 10 degrees hotter than retail)
  • Their namespace functionality is rather limited/unsupported, lost a whole namespace while trying to slice the drive.
When things are really cheap, there is a reason for it. Outside of bulk online storage where energy/cooling costs are no-concern, I wouldn't recommend these drives to most. They are designed/tuned to work with Dell EMC SAN controller and as such they lack fully tested implementation of features which the standard Dell OEM or Samsung retail drives offer.

Still great drives, though I would recommend wait for the usual Dell/HPE OEM server drives to also come down in price, at least they come with firmware support, more energy efficient and run considerably cooler.

Will these drive work with windows server?
Also do the drives have to be reformatted to 512 or 4k?