UK 15.36TB Samsung PM1733 NVMe SSDs for £389.99, plus other bits from the same seller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
This seems like the best deal I've come across in the UK, and I think the seller is willing to ship abroad.

They're PCIe 4.0 (edit: although the EMC firmware limits it to PCIe 3), and have ridiculous read/write speeds. The only downside is that they're rated at up to 20W each under max load.

Here's the link

They're up for £399.99, but if you send a message to the seller saying "Alex sent me", then he'll give you £10 off each drive (and I'll maybe get some freebies ;)*

He may do bulk discounts too, but you'd have to ask.

The same seller has a lot of other stuff, but the prices are all over the place. I found a few other good deals though:

£24.99 for a LSI 9311-8i which is SAS only, but cheap for an 8 port card.

£49.99 for a 4 port NVMe/U.2 card although I can't find whether it requires bifurcation or not.

£26.93 for a wireless mechanical keyboard which seems to be half the normal price.

I also found some 16GB RAM for £5-10 a stick, but that's not as much of a deal as the above.

*for transparency, I am not the seller, I don't know the seller, these are not affiliate links, but I do like the idea of free stuff when I get an opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixelBit

neobenedict

Oct 2, 2020
Apparently the firmware locks them to pcie gen 3 speeds, maybe this can be flashed?

Still an amazing deal and the seller said the drives are nearly brand new.

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
I wasn't aware of the firmware difference, but looking at the datasheet that would only really affect the read speed. If they can be reflashed then even better.

I've already bought a few for myself because it seemed too good to pass up. Now I just need to find a use for them...

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
It's mad out there.

I've had my eye on this one for a while and the seller recently reduced them from £599 to £399. I guess normal people don't search for 15TB drives as they're outside the scope of what people know exists. That and they wouldn't know what to do with a U.2 drive.

Reactions: michel333

erm_what

Mar 2, 2019
They seem to have Dell/EMC firmware, but maybe they can be flashed back to stock.

The seller assured me they work. If not then they have a 60 day guarantee, which you can usually trust from UK businesses due to all the laws around warranties.

I've not received mine yet but I'll post up here when I do.

Reactions: VMman

ano

Nov 7, 2022
if they work in normal servers, I should be good, just not in EMC san devices ;)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
do they have normal FW?
From my understaning samsung provides a basic firmware that can be customized to oems. But I've neever seen such a firmware for their pcie ssds, only for their older sata enterprise ssds.
(One of the reasons why I avoid samsung enterprise ssds)

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
Will these ssd's work on supermicro servers with nvme support?
or do they require a dell emc server?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
That almost sounds too good of an offer to be true. I'll just stand here on the sideline and see how it plays out.

Reactions: bvd

michel333

Apr 9, 2023
This seems like the best deal I've come across in the UK, and I think the seller is willing to ship abroad.

They're PCIe 4.0, and have ridiculous read/write speeds. The only downside is that they're rated at up to 20W each under max load.

Here's the link

They're up for £399.99, but if you send a message to the seller saying "Alex sent me", then he'll give you £10 off each drive (and I'll maybe get some freebies ;)*

He may do bulk discounts too, but you'd have to ask.

The same seller has a lot of other stuff, but the prices are all over the place. I found a few other good deals though:

£24.99 for a LSI 9311-8i which is SAS only, but cheap for an 8 port card.

£49.99 for a 4 port NVMe/U.2 card although I can't find whether it requires bifurcation or not.

£26.93 for a wireless mechanical keyboard which seems to be half the normal price.

I also found some 16GB RAM for £5-10 a stick, but that's not as much of a deal as the above.

*for transparency, I am not the seller, I don't know the seller, these are not affiliate links, but I do like the idea of free stuff when I get an opportunity.
I bought one sas LSI 9311-8i, i need one hba LSI. Hopefully this hba sun will work with dell or Cisco servers.

The price for 15 TO name u.2 it is insane...man, I already bought a lot of sas ssd ...

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
I asked the seller if these drives will work with Supermicro servers with Windows server.
The reply i got was that these drives work with Linux PC but don't work with Windows 10.
Anyone have any idea if these drives will work with windows server?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
these are nvme devices, they should work with all operating systems that support nvme as protocol (basically every os that came out or had an update after 2011)

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
too bad they dont ship to the US. 3 of these would completely replace my Freenas box.
They probably need to be formatted from 520b to 512b, but i'm not sure if that is the case with nvme drives. I know sas drives needed to be reformatted.

ycp

Jun 22, 2014
these are nvme devices, they should work with all operating systems that support nvme as protocol (basically every os that came out or had an update after 2011)
I wanted to buy 4 of these but need to do my due diligence before hand.
I agree that they should work with all modern operating systems.
I plan on using these in supermicro server with NVMe bays with windows server. The firmware is custom EMC so maybe that is the issue.