14tb WD easystore ext - shingled or no? (or sugg an internal)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Hi, i've tried searching the internet but i'm finding this ambiguous to verify. "Mixed answers" favoring that it's not but I can't tell.

I'm looking at buying two more 14tb WD easystores - I need more space and one of my brand new externals just died.

I expect they will eventually be shucked and used in a NAS but for 1-2 years they'll just be used via USB as emergency increase in storage. I'm assuming they'll need a pin mod or something like 12's, that's not a veto trait.

$240 at best buy is not a great price but I need insta-storage. Unless someone can suggest a brand new internal drive from 12-14tb at a notably better price/TB which is definately not shingled? (no ebay, white box, warrantyless stuff - something I can return if hard use the first month kills it, like my acid test did on my other external) If the price is WAY better i'd also consider a 10tb if verified nonshingled, or 16-20tb ones if verified nonshingled but I thought most were for the latter.

olhachycher

Jan 11, 2023
Hi, i've tried searching the internet but i'm finding this ambiguous to verify. "Mixed answers" favoring that it's not but I can't tell.

I'm looking at buying two more 14tb WD easystores - I need more space and one of my brand new externals just died.

I expect they will eventually be shucked and used in a NAS but for 1-2 years they'll just be used via USB as emergency increase in storage. I'm assuming they'll need a pin mod or something like 12's, that's not a veto trait.

$240 at best buy is not a great price but I need insta-storage. Unless someone can suggest a brand new internal drive from 12-14tb at a notably better price/TB which is definately not shingled? (no ebay, white box, warrantyless stuff - something I can return if hard use the first month kills it, like my acid test did on my other external) If the price is WAY better i'd also consider a 10tb if verified nonshingled, or 16-20tb ones if verified nonshingled but I thought most were for the latter.
Hi,

The 14TB Western Digital Easystore external hard drive is not a shingled magnetic recording (SMR) drive. It uses conventional magnetic recording (CMR) technology. This means that the drive should be suitable for use in a NAS and can be shucked without any issues.

If you are looking for a large capacity internal hard drive, the 14TB Seagate Exos X14 is a CMR drive and it may be found at a similar price point. However, it's better to check the specific model and pricing at the time of purchase as it can vary.

Please note that while shucking an external hard drive and using it as an internal drive can save you money, it may void the warranty and also, it may not be safe as the drive may not be designed to be used in that way, as it may not have the same cooling and other features that an internal drive would have.