12TB Easystore USB HDDs @ BestBuy $180

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by BLinux, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Samir

Samir Active Member

I'd go with mirrored pairs any day, especially if not striped so each drive is basically part of a jbod mirrored pair.

2. Samir

Samir Active Member

They do if you know where to look. ;) I actually find deals on sas all the time. PM me with what you need and I'll keep my eyes open for it. :)

That's a pretty cool thread. I thought the 12TB looked quite familiar as the 14TB in the side-by-side pic is exactly like the 14TB I got. I could see WD consolidating manufacturing in the same way that Intel produces chips on the same line and just 'bins' them according to the quality of the chip. I could see the same thing for drives, and if so, these externals are some of the lower bins for sure imo.

3. Samir

Samir Active Member

Great info on the WD 2.5" drives, although I still think it would be nearly silly to put a usb interface on these if they were also producing them in an sata variant as those didn't sell either. I guess when someone cracks one open we'll see if a nice sata drive is in there or just another usb boarded drive.

Yep, the 3-2-1 backup rule is still a golden one to follow. Multiple styles of backups, multiple copies, and multiple locations is the surest way to stand the test of time, especially when you add in some sort of parity scrub like what's available in zfs to detect and fix bit rot. Over time, this becomes the silent corrupter in my experience.

4. Samir

Samir Active Member

Remember thought that a mirrored pair shouldn't be the only copy, so while it would be bad for a pair to fail, it shouldn't be catastrophic.

Interesting to hear your experiences on failures. This is why I was thinking that a raid0+1 while expensive drive-wise would be the most impervious since you'd have to lose a full 2 drives in a mirrored pair to lose the array. Of course, there's a lot better solutions out there, but I still like raid since working with it in the 1990s.

The CDW outlet definitely has some deals on sas drives if you happened to be looking at the right time. The provantage open box also has some once in a while.

I used to think about cycling out storage, but now I just copy to the new one and keep the old as a backup. I've got generations of our data 'archived' via enterprise drives rotated out of production as new ones were bought. It's like some cheap insurance--which like cheap insurance may not actually have you covered. :D

5. Samir

Samir Active Member

Yep, that's a pretty solid strategy. And like you said, once you add up all the copies of the data, it does start to get pricey. Then you start to think that some product from AWS that's got 99.9999999% uptime might be better for the price, and then realize that it would be just yet another backup medium. :D

6. Samir

Samir Active Member

So for real off-site backup, it's pretty easy if you have parents or whatnot as you can easily setup an ipsec tunnel between the two sites that can be useful for a lot of things like monitoring them as they age (this was literally a godsend as I was able to watch the last moments of my mom's life earlier this year when I wasn't near them), remoting into their systems to keep them clean, etc. Then you simply have a replication nas setup at their place and just be sure to replicate regularly. And not only your stuff, but they can use it too and you can keep a copy of their stuff too in case of disaster. As everything moves to electronic mediums, these records start becoming more and more valuable.

7. Samir

Samir Active Member

It's external drive deals like this that do take the sting out of off-site backups though. I have 2x 10tb drives from the last deal that I rotate regularly at a bank safety deposit box. They're not the only backup copies (actually just consolidated backups of backups), but they are a nice assurance. And it's cheap too unless you have truly large storage arrays--it was $350 for everything including the drives and the safety deposit box. :)

itronin likes this.
  8. Samir

Samir Active Member

I'm in the same boat with streaming today. I still have most of my back in the day super large mp3 collection on 2x 500gb ext drives that I haven't powered on in years now. :0 I do probably need to move that data into the fold if I want to keep it. Now that I think about it, I've got a lot of data like that to archive. :(

Yep! These things do keep us out of bigger trouble, and always end up getting us in bigger trouble with the SO, lol!! I've loved computing, cars, and photography for years now, and if the 100+ devices on the network as well as 2 garages full of cars isn't enough, there's the 8 cameras--all of which the wife would like to see go. :(

You're dead-on about a secondary nas being older gear; and in fact, it can be nearly ridiculous since you'll never even get 480Mbps to the drive over most Internet connections. (I'm watching a copy job right now running at 3Mbps on a link that's got 50Mbps on the upload side and 500Mbps on the download side--there's just so much overhead.) You can literally just buy one of these external drives and plug it into the usb port on some consumer router that can handle the size and you've got a dead cheap offsite backup.

If you don't want to pay for synlogy dsm, there is the xpenology that you can run on your own hardware. If your dad is connecting storage directly to his laptop, isn't that DAS (direct attached storage)?

9. Bert

Bert Member

Is there a still 10% off coupon for best buy?

I just bought 14 2 TB drives from 8.5$ per TB, wish I didn't :( It seems like power savings will cover the difference.

Though, I am a little bit worried about the the disk throughput speeds as they are not much faster than before, it would take very long time to dump all the data from these disks.

Samir likes this.
  10. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Yep for sure the iops have not increased much at all compared to capacity, does take a good while to read a whole drive these days

Samir likes this.
  11. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Depends on how you have it setup, what OS, etc, it took just over a week to transfer the 60 TB I have to an unraid array (averaged about 90MB/s IIRC).

Samir likes this.
  12. msg7086

msg7086 Active Member

Still a great offline backup choice.

Samir and Bert like this.
  13. Bert

Bert Member

That's the thing, the size of the disks are going up but the bandwidth is fixed so I am still getting the same 100MB/sec -150MB/sec sequential rw speed from 1TB disks and I heard the speed is not mucher for 18TB disk, now you have a pool a magnitude bigger but pipe is same and not sure why the pipe is not getting bigger as it used to do in the past.

14. Bert

Bert Member

Yep just pulled the trigger on 12TB for my offline back up. 5TB looks like a great deal too. I am not going to shuck it though.

Samir likes this.
  15. msg7086

msg7086 Active Member

I have a few 500GB 1TB 2TB small drives for backup purpose. I split my library to fit the size, and then fill the drives and call it a day. It'll function as an additional backup along with my cloud storage. In case of a disk failure, I can restore from local first, then sync with cloud to fill the gaps.

Samir likes this.
  16. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Whew! The three closest Best Buy stores are sold out. I would need to go 9 miles to another one, and the car only has 39 miles of electricity left. Not going to chance it today and save some money.

17. GaveUp

GaveUp New Member

I wish I had the restraint... in for 12... my wallet hates me.

Samir likes this.
  18. Samir

Samir Active Member

You can make it there and then just poke along on the smaller roads on the way back vs the highway. And if you're in the bay area there's chargers everywhere. ;)

Of course it is very likely we will see this deal again, so you can wait for it as well. :D

19. Samir

Samir Active Member

I think it's a matter of there being some sort of ceiling that's been hit when trying to read such tightly packed data on the platters. Before, the read speeds would increase as the density increased, but if there's a physics limit to how fast the data can be read/written, then just the size will increase and that's it.

It would be nice if drives would have gone up in speed as their size increased. A 6x increase in sustained read/write speeds would put these 12TB drives somewhere near 1200MB/s for peak read speeds (based on a peak of 200MB/s for the 2TB HGSTs I've got). :eek:

20. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

There has been some increase in peak pure sequential throughout and also some iops by split arms etc but running into physical limits for sure.

@Patrick bit of range anxiety?, not going to live dangerously haha

Patrick and Samir like this.