12gen N-series Nas motherboard (topton, cwwk, ... )

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chripo

Dec 15, 2023
Might this board also work with a larger DDR5-SO-DIMM like this: Crucial 48GB DDR5-5600 SO-DIMM (CT48G56C46S5)? A bit extra memory might come in handy for more memory-intensive containers etc. ;-)

chripo

Dec 15, 2023
I bought the Crucial 48GB DIMM and installed it in the CWWK board today. The board boots without any problems, right now a first burn-in test with Prime95 Large FFTs is running. The stick gets pretty hot (well, it doesn't have a heat sink). After P95 I'll do a few MemTest86 runs. Let's see if everything runs stable. ;)

Edit: After 3 hours of P95 and two complete MemTest86 cycles (another 3 hours) it seems that the stick is running fine on the board. :cool:

Edit 2: It took me quite a while to get the board booting headless (no keyboard/screen) with C-States in BIOS enabled. For now I ended up setting a latency value of 1 (previously 0) to all the corresponding BIOS entries. But to be honest, right now I don't know whether enabling the C-States helps with power efficiency or what effect the latency values have exactly. Current BIOS: v5.27 11/152023 CW-ADLN-NAS-V10

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer0_C00L

eros23

Dec 28, 2023
This processor (n305) says it supports maximum 16GB of RAM. How do you mount 32GB. Is everything working correctly?

chripo

Dec 15, 2023
This processor (n305) says it supports maximum 16GB of RAM. How do you mount 32GB. Is everything working correctly?
Yes, the board runs with a 32GB SO-DIMM (and even with a 48GB stick, see above). Just use a corresponding SO-DIMM, you don't need to adjust any BIOS settings or do other things for the memory to run fine.

eros23

Dec 28, 2023
Thank you very much, but as M2 SSD memory, is it better to get a "PCIe Gen 3.0 x4" or a "PCIe Gen 4.0 x4"?
I can't figure out the maximum supported speed for M2 SSDs. I wanted to use two M2s at the same time and 4 HDDs to make a NAS for home.

chripo

Dec 15, 2023
Thank you very much, but as M2 SSD memory, is it better to get a "PCIe Gen 3.0 x4" or a "PCIe Gen 4.0 x4"?
I can't figure out the maximum supported speed for M2 SSDs. I wanted to use two M2s at the same time and 4 HDDs to make a NAS for home.
If I understand the specs of the board correctly, both M2 slots are just PCIe Gen3 x1. But I guess that any M2 SSD (Gen3 or Gen4) will work with the board. Its speed will simply be limited to what the PCIe Gen3 x1 slots are able to deliver. BTW, you will lose the PCIe x1 expansion slot if you use two M2-SSDs. I ended up using just two SATA SSDs as cache for the HDD array. That way I'm free to later add e.g. a M2 SSD for VMs and containers and could still either use a 2nd M2 SSD or an expansion card.

Zer0_C00L

Jun 18, 2023
Yep. Go for cheap (or low power) M.2 since they'll be limited to Pcie3.0 x1 speeds.

For SATA SSD I'd suggest using one for cache and making sure it's the native SATA port (once is native, the other 5 are via an ASMedia type mutipler). But ultimately you'll not likely be maxing out SATA3 consistently.

Personally, I'd envisage using dual internal USB3 (RAID1) for OS logs etc. One M.2 as a log/journal (or whatever it is for ZFS), maybe a SATA read/write cache, then some reliable hard drives in the remaining 5 SATA ports. Then a multiport (like 24) SATA card with cheap mass storage drives for non-critical storage.

DaAliG

Dec 30, 2023
I've actually found this thread as I was considering the shown motherboard for my first DIY NAS/Plex/jellyfin server. Is this sort of board usually safe to buy / fit for purpose? It's just so new that's making me hesitate. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but hoping for someone to do an in depth reveiw. I've greatly appreciated Chirpo posting thier personal experience in here.

Reactions: chripo

araines

Dec 24, 2023
I’ve just ordered the N100 variant with building a NAS/homelab/plex server in mind. My aging N40L isn’t cutting the mustard anymore!

Has anyone seen a manual for this board? Specifically I’m struggling to find out what headers it has - I can see the front panel and TPM from the images, but there is another in the corner next to the 24 pin power connector. I’m wondering whether it’s a NIC or SATA activity header.

I’m designing my own enclosure for it, so it would be nice to know if I can throw some more front panel indicators in there (or audio or usb or whatever it is!)

m11k

Jan 1, 2024
@chripo, I would be interested to compare BIOS settings with you, and am curious which Linux distro you are using. I just got this board (CWWK-ADLK-NAS-V10) w/ the N305 CPU, and I've been struggling to get it booting for several days. The only components connected are a Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and a 32GB stick of RAM (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XB3ZNHC). It boots Windows 11, but not Linux. All of the recent installers that I tried (Debian 12, Ubuntu 23.10, Proxmox 8.1, Fedora 39) cause the system to hard-reboot about a second after grub starts booting the kernel. This hard-reboot is a brief power-off and then back on. After much troubleshooting with different operating systems, different Linux distributions, and even bisecting the kernel via git (a process that took the better part of a day), I have the problem somewhat isolated, but I'm not sure how best to resolve it.

Basically, all kernels since 6.1 fail to boot (causing this reboot loop). After discovering that I could boot an old Debian 11 installer, I bisected the problem down to this commit: Merge branches 'pm-cpuidle', 'pm-core', 'pm-sleep' and 'powercap' · torvalds/linux@ac73ce3. Finding that this is a power management problem, I further reduced the problem to having C-states greater than 2 enabled in the intel_idle driver. Any of these kernel parameters will work around the problem:
  • idle=nomwait (which disables the intel_idle driver)
  • intel_idle.max_cstate=2
  • intel_idle.states_off=28 (which disables state 2,3,4, and leaves states 0 and 1 enabled).
I have spent a fair bit of time poking around in the BIOS. Using the factory default settings, the parameter that sounds like it controls C-states (Advanced -> Power and Performance -> CPU - Power Management Control -> C States) was 'Disabled' by default. I enabled it, but the system fails to boot regardless of how it is set, and surprisingly with the default of 'Disabled', it still looks like the C1E state is being used according to 'powertop'.

I would like to find a BIOS setting that allows the kernel to boot unaltered. Overall, this seems like a BIOS bug to me, or maybe I've got a bad board. The BIOS defaults should be "safe". I'm surprised a BIOS would be shipped that can't boot a stock Debian, Ubuntu, Proxmox, or Fedora (with the exception of turning off secure boot maybe). I have no idea if the manufacturer would respond if I try to contact them about it. I would not have high hopes considering this was an aliexpress purchase.

On the off chance it is related to the RAM (which is unlikely, as I ran a full Memtest86+ without issues), I have an alternate stick coming in the mail tomorrow. I doubt it is related, but it is the only component attached to the motherboard that I haven't tried removing or replacing.

• Sad
Reactions: chripo and Klez

chripo

Dec 15, 2023
I've actually found this thread as I was considering the shown motherboard for my first DIY NAS/Plex/jellyfin server. Is this sort of board usually safe to buy / fit for purpose? It's just so new that's making me hesitate. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but hoping for someone to do an in depth reveiw. I've greatly appreciated Chirpo posting thier personal experience in here.
Since I am also building my first DIY-NAS/Homelab with this mobo, I am definitely not the one for an in-depth review and comparison to other boards. If anybody is interested, I could give you some details on the components I used and post pictures of my current CWWK-N305/36TB NAS-Homelab build inside a Jonsbo N3 case. Just let me know. ;)

I’ve just ordered the N100 variant with building a NAS/homelab/plex server in mind. My aging N40L isn’t cutting the mustard anymore!

Has anyone seen a manual for this board? Specifically I’m struggling to find out what headers it has - I can see the front panel and TPM from the images, but there is another in the corner next to the 24 pin power connector. I’m wondering whether it’s a NIC or SATA activity header.
I was also looking for something like a manual (online or printed), but couldn't find anything. My mainboard box with the N305 CPU only included a small note in Chinese (presumably information on registration or support). :rolleyes:

The header next to the 24-Pin-Connector is the front panel connector. The two other headers you saw on pictures are TPM und USB2. As far as I can tell, the board has no NIC or SATA activity and no sound headers.

DaAliG

Dec 30, 2023
@chirpo
Very interested in your build mate, as we seem to be looking for similiar goals. I'm honing in on a 4 HDD either z1 or striped mirrored truenas install, currently fractal design node 304 case, with the mobo we're talking about. I'd been looking at the N100 as I don't think I'd need the higher power/price from the N305? I'd honed on this cpu for its x265 and AV1 decode + iGPPU abilities for jellyfish and tinkering with VM's/docker

Zer0_C00L

Jun 18, 2023
Honestly, the N100 is very capable. The N300 has a similar performance to the Tenth Gen Embedded I7 (10510U). The N100 is about a 5-10% bump over the 6005 while nearly cutting power consumption in half (30-40%, 10W to 6W).

For most uses the N100 is going to be heaps, and the N300 is a 30% multi-core improvement (from double the cores), while sacrificing a little single core performance, and higher power consumption.

Unless you're running heavy workloads the N100 is probably the pick.

chripo

Dec 15, 2023
@chirpo
Very interested in your build mate, as we seem to be looking for similiar goals.
Here you go... :)

DIY-NAS/Homelab Components:
  • CWWK i3-N305 NAS Mainboard
  • Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal Paste
  • Crucial CT48G56C46S5 SO-DIMM 48GB RAM
  • Noctua NH-L9i CPU Cooler
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU
  • Jonsbo N3 Case
  • 2 x Noctua NF-A9 FLX 90mm Fans (quiet replacement for the Jonsbo storage bay fans)
  • Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80mm Fan (System Fan)
  • CableDeconn 6x SATA Cable
  • Duttek 4-Pin Molex to 15-Pin SATA Adapter
  • Bolwins H62S USB3 20-Pin to USB2 9-Pin Adapter
  • 4 x Western Digital WD Red Plus WD120EFBX NAS SATA HDD 12TB
  • Western Digital WD Red SA500 WDS200T1R0A NAS SATA SSD 2TB
  • ORICO 2,5" to 3,5" SSD/HDD Mounting Frame 2x
1 Re-Pasting (Original).jpg2 Re-Pasting (Cleaned up).jpg3 Re-Pasting (Liquid Metal).jpg4 BIOS Version.jpg5 BIOS Fan Settings.jpg6 Build - Board PSU System-Fan.jpg7 Build - CPU RAM.jpg8 Build - SATA Cabling.jpg9 Build - PSU Cabling.jpg10 NAS-Backplane Cabling 1.jpg11 NAS-Backplane Cabling 2.jpg12 Back with System Fan.jpg13 NAS-Storage - HDD SSD.jpg14 Front with Storage.jpg

Honestly, the N100 is very capable. The N300 has a similar performance to the Tenth Gen Embedded I7 (10510U). The N100 is about a 5-10% bump over the 6005 while nearly cutting power consumption in half (30-40%, 10W to 6W).

For most uses the N100 is going to be heaps, and the N300 is a 30% multi-core improvement (from double the cores), while sacrificing a little single core performance, and higher power consumption.

Unless you're running heavy workloads the N100 is probably the pick.
Completely agree, if you are looking for a build with the lowest power consumption using this board, it's probably best to go ahead with the N100. Since my build besides NAS functionality should also run several applications (PiHole, Home Assistant, RaspberryMatic, Jellyfin, etc.) and because I plan to use this build for several years, I think that the N305 is the better (future-proof) option for me. :cool:

Last edited:

Steffe

Feb 7, 2023
@chripo,

Basically, all kernels since 6.1 fail to boot (causing this reboot loop).

I would like to find a BIOS setting that allows the kernel to boot unaltered. Overall, this seems like a BIOS bug to me, or maybe I've got a bad board. The BIOS defaults should be "safe".
I received my board today, but I am awaiting all the other hardware pieces so I cannot boot and share my bios settings...

I do agree that the seller on Ali probably does not know much. You could however try to reach out to cwwk on their chat. They were quite responsive when I contacted them - maybe they can help and understand the technical bits. It's quite the investigation you made.

Reactions: chripo

youddha

Nov 10, 2023
Received my n305 board today!

- Swapped it in my previous build (i had a N6005 mobo before) unraid booted like it was nothing.
- Everything is here and working fine, even the hw acceleration/transcoding in plex is working ! (Meaning: i can comfirm that the solution for hw transcoding is the same that for the previous generation, n6005 board)
- I replaced the cpu radiator it came with with a noctua nh-u9s, max temperature of the cpu so far: 35° ! The screws from the copper block can interfer with your radiator mount, be aware of that...
- new 32gb recognised no problem
- I can confirm the sata port marked 1 (physical) is the dedicated one, the ones marked 2 to 6 are from the external controller.
- The 2 nvme are a bit too close to each other, i had to ditch one of my nvme radiator... not ideal. Interrested if anyone has a trick to mount 2 radiator side by side.
- Current consumption iddle is around 24w, not great. I played with the bios setting and c-states + pci ASPM but somehow i went too far and unraid would not boot anymore...
- Restored bios to default and ONLY enabling C-states shaved 3w, now I'm at about 20w idle. I was at 17w with the n6005 board with minimal tweaking of the bios so i'll try to at least match that.

Will play more with bios settings tomorrow, testing them more "softly". Will repost here.

In the meantime i'm really interrested to read about your bios settings for low idle consumption!

Last edited:

m11k

Jan 1, 2024
Received my n305 board today!

- Swapped it in my previous build (i had a N6005 mobo before) unraid booted like it was nothing.
I'm not too familiar with unraid, but it looks like the most recent version is using kernel 6.1. Could you share your unraid and/or kernel version?