128GB RAM kit for Home Proxmox Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frankle

Apr 7, 2020
Just moved on from my basic Proxmox server that was a Dell OptiPlex 7060 SFF, i7-8700, 32GB RAM, 240GB SATA PVE install drive & 1TB M.2 VM drive. Worked fine until recently developed intermittent booting issues and now has mobo fault (2 orange lights then 1 orange light) so I've gathered some parts that are not being used at the moment:

ASUS B560-G Motherboard (may change this to an ASUS Z490M-Plus, so that I can use both M.2 slots with 10th Gen CPU)
Intel i9-10900
Micron 5300 480GB SATA PVE install drive
Kingston KC3000 2TB VM drive
Corsair Vengeance 2x16GB 3600 kit
Melanox CX312A

I have put them all into a 2RU Silverstone RM23-502 Mini case with some Noctua fans, so far runs really quiet!

With the new CPU I'm wanting to run more VM's and possibly more storage (TrueNAS with some 2.5" drives maybe in Silverstone FS204B) and so have decided that 128GB of RAM would be ideal. Not overly concerned about cost (new kits are around AU$500) as I already have the rest of the gear but more concerned about finding one that will actually work properly on this motherboard or the Z490M-Plus, and from what I gather something like 4x32GB at 3200 is what I'm after, and ideally single rank?

I know there is a qualified list on ASUS website but that looks like it hasn't been updated in quite some time, and finding the rank info on most of them is quite hard.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Cheers!