10Gbps Internet

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

derwolf

Oct 20, 2015
I am in need of some advice on 10Gbps Internet service. Just became available where I live and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get all that bandwidth into my server without spending too much. Specifically I am looking for a router and I am starting to think I need to roll my own. I've been looking at VyOS if anyone has any experience on the hardware requirements to get throughput in the 10Gbps realm. Also, looking for hardware recommendations for dual port 10Gbps SFP+ adapter and a 10Gbps switch.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
What are you going to be doing with the connection? That will probably direct how you want to configure things and hardware selections more than anything else.
Pushing 10G through a nic isn't too hard with modern NIC's, Motherboards and CPU., but it is easy to spend a lot of $ on things you may not need depending on your use case.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Are you only looking for a router?

Pfsense is my go to, software wise, but 10gbps requires some "grunt" if you are going to be using things like suricata.

Spec completely depends on what you need.

derwolf

Oct 20, 2015
Are you only looking for a router?

Pfsense is my go to, software wise, but 10gbps requires some "grunt" if you are going to be using things like suricata.

Spec completely depends on what you need.
I really need all the infrastructure to build a 10G network. This means 10G SFP+ adapters if I build my own router using pfSense or VyOS, 10GE for some Cat 6 runs I have in place, and most likely a decent 10GE 8+ port switch with a 2 SFP+ ports. I have an old 2 x E5620 server that I could repurpose as the router, but I'm not sure if that's enough "grunt". Suricata would be nice to have, but not required. This is in a home environment and I'll be the primary user, so features wise I'll be just utilizing the basics like NAT/Firewall.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Not sure on the pfSense side but your Dual E5620 should do fine as a basic router/nat box. I have pushed 5-6Gbit through dual E5504 with Intel 10G Dual port Nic's and doing custom packet processing (could do more, but that was all that was required for the project).
There are a few active 10G related threads on the forum here re switches and NIC's. I have had good experience with Intel's x540, x520, x710, Mellanox Connect X3 series.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I can't recommend dual nics yet as I haven't used them but after research my choice was a Chelsio t420.
If you don't need to run other things on the same box, I would look at a single chip with high clock speed.

As for switches, how many machines do you want to have connected at 10G? Can you virtualise any to capitalise on hardware?

I mean I run esxi, and pfsense in a VM as my router. The host has a 3.6 (4.0 turbo)ghz haswell chip in it and I dedicate two vcores to pfsense with 3 gig of memory. If I had a dual port Nic it would easily handle routing/NAT and probably manage suricata at 10gig. I could always allocate more..

Could even run a proxy with a little more disk space and ram.

I am very happy with my mikrotik crs226, has 2 sfp+ ports and 24 gigabit ethernet ports.

Last edited:

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
.... sorry, 10Gbps to home? Seriously? What does that cost? Did you know that you're going to have more bandwidth to your house than some of my local private and community colleges that we are working with? Even my University campus backbone is only at 10Gbps linking out at multiple 10s.

I can't imagine a home user using remotely 10% of that consistently unless you're running a business.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
.... sorry, 10Gbps to home? Seriously? What does that cost? Did you know that you're going to have more bandwidth to your house than some of my local private and community colleges that we are working with? Even my University campus backbone is only at 10Gbps linking out at multiple 10s.

I can't imagine a home user using remotely 10% of that consistently unless you're running a business.
In some parts of the world 10gig is somewhat normal.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
I'd recommend a Sino-logic 16, Sogo 7 Data Gloves, a GPL stealth module, one Burdine intelligent translator and a Thompson iPhone.

If you can't get those, your 2xE5620 should be OK for routing duties but if you plan on running VPNs and IDS for the full 10Gbps on the same tin you'll need something beefier I suspect... but doubt it's the end of the world if you can't push 100% from day one. I'd recommend turning it into a STH project thread B^)

Incidentally if you do turn it into an STH project thread you'll need to buy another house with 10Gbps internet to test it...

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
10Gbps Fiber To The Home (FTTH) is around US$330 per month in Hong Kong.
I think the private college that I was talking about is paying in the order of $3000-$3500/month in provider charges for a 10Gbps feed. Mind you that's over a 50 mile run if that means anything.

Now the next challenge is to find content from the WAN side to fill your pipe! 4K 3D uncompressed Youtube - here we come.

derwolf

Oct 20, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are right that 10Gbps internet is a bit overkill for home use. I am doing it because I can and we'll see what sort of use cases I come up with. I currently have 1Gbps Internet and have no problem utilizing the bandwidth. I live in Chattanooga, TN and the service provider is EPB. Cost for 1Gbps is $70 and the 10Gbps is $300.

Reactions: Andre Blumberg
Sep 22, 2015
Tennessee huh. Hows the weather? Do you know what rent prices are like?

Would I seriously consider adding a place to my shortlist of places to move just because of ridiculous internet speeds? I'm not sure I want to honestly ask myself that question.

Reactions: Kristian

derwolf

Oct 20, 2015
Tennessee is actually quite nice. I'm not ashamed to admit the internet speeds helped bring me here. I moved from Atlanta 3 years ago where I was suffering along with a Comcast 20/5 connection and I'll never look back. Also, if you ever decide to venture outside your home, Outside Magazine just named Chattanooga "Best Town Ever".

Reactions: Andre Blumberg

ATS

Mar 9, 2015

EPBfi in Chattanooga, TN rolled out 10Gb/s to their whole service area (~170K households plus biz). Scary enough they are doing it via TWDM-PON which means that they can likely support 40Gb/s as well! Pricing for it is currently $300/month. Free install, no upfront. Oh and its symmetrical too! EPBfi actually announced the network a couple days before Alcatel-Lucent announced the actual hardware it is running on.

They will also be offering 3 & 5 Gb speeds as well. As well as biz services at all those speeds. In addition, because they are doing TWDM-PON they will be able to do wavelength isolated services for biz as well (aka connecting two buildings over a private wavelength or multiple private wavelengths).

When they originally launched 1 Gb at $300 several years ago, they have some pretty reasonable take up on it, so I assume the same thing will happen here.

ATS

Mar 9, 2015
Tennessee huh. Hows the weather? Do you know what rent prices are like?

Would I seriously consider adding a place to my shortlist of places to move just because of ridiculous internet speeds? I'm not sure I want to honestly ask myself that question.
You also have a town in Vermont and a town in South Carolina that offer 10Gb service. I would assume that Google Fiber eventually also plans to upgrade to either 10G-PON or TWDM-PON at some point as well.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I know this is a somewhat retarded comment - cause if I could get 10G i would do it aswell.......... Just because! :cool:

But.... Whats the usecase in a home? - at the moment - besides crontabbing a

wget /dev/null http://thepiratebay.mn/*

~~ish :)