10gb SFP NIC for m720q ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Handset6713

Mar 16, 2024
I picked up an inexpensive Lenovo m720q last night, and have read of a few people successfully using certain dual 10gb SFP nics in them. However I'm struggling to make a decision on which NIC to choose for this. Obviously power and heat are going to be a concern. I will probably run it without the lid on the case for a while. However I also need to make sure the SFP NIC can be used with a WAS-110 xgs-gpon module as I need that to bypass my ISP's modem/router, and I understand this comes with extra power demands so only certain NICs can be used for this.

Hoping to hear from others' experiences with this, and appreciate any and all input offered! Thanks!

phol

Apr 1, 2017
I've personally built a M720q router with a X710-DA2, unlocked using the XL710-unlocker. I'm currently using it with a simple bidi SFP module, but will be migrated to XGS-PON in a few weeks. After that, I can let you know my experiences, I'm going to try out a Zaram XGS-PON ONU SFP+.

See also my blog post on building a DIY router with the M720q. It also has all the other parts you'll need.

Reactions: GreenAvacado

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
I've personally built a M720q router with a X710-DA2, unlocked using the XL710-unlocker. I'm currently using it with a simple bidi SFP module, but will be migrated to XGS-PON in a few weeks. After that, I can let you know my experiences, I'm going to try out a Zaram XGS-PON ONU SFP+.

See also my blog post on building a DIY router with the M720q. It also has all the other parts you'll need.
Zaram XGS-PON ONU SFP+ looks really neat for $70. I'm curious if you can program this with ATT XGS-PON ONU and serial number to use directly with X710-DA2?

EDIT: Looks like this is the one I was looking for https://www.fs.com/products/185594.html. Programmable MAC ID feature.

Last edited:

phol

Apr 1, 2017
In this Dutch forum thread, some users have reported good results with the Zaram ZXOS11NPI, which I also confirmed through a DM. This didn't require any programming. I a few weeks, I hope to be able to report my own experiences.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Specifically, this post states that it already comes with a serial number, whereas in the FS.com module, this can be added on request.
Right, figured that reading the configuration guide on FS.com At $70 that was super tempting but at $200 for programmable ONU ID, not sure much.

Because I do have similar module from different vendor on backorder for $160 using 8311 Discord group purchase.