10Gb + Cable Management Arm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
I've used cable management arms from Dell, Lenovo, and SuperMicro. One thing they all have in common is a tiny turn radius for the cables. I am looking to add some 10Gb networking to my rack and all of my servers use cable management arms* (CMA). Don't worry about the exhaust temps; those are not an issue. I don't know squat about 10Gb cabling, so I thought I'd turn to you guys (girls, too) on the STH forums for advice based upon field experience. Once I know which cables will work, then I can figure out which NICs and switch.

I watched this video about different cable types:
and came out thinking a SFP+ and fiber cables would work because they are the most flexible, then I remembered how insanely long the strain-relief sections are.

I've tried to run them in my rack before and found the strain reliefs want to occupy the same space as the CMA, so those are out.

Concerning cable length: By the time I wind the cables through the CMA roughly 44 inches will be consumed, and that doesn't include the trip up or down to a switch, or another 44 inches along the second CMA, into the second server if I choose to create a point-to-point connection.

Therefore, I think I am forced back into CAT 6/6a, which is not such a terrible place to be. CAT 6a/7 cables on Amazon are cheap compared to the other options.

What advice do you have for me?