10G Ethernet on the cheap - $400 for 24 ports?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
This is a community of experimenters, always looking to play with the latest technologies, preferably on the cheap. If this describes you, then here is an idea:

Fulcrum Microsystems Monte Carlo Focalpoint 1g 10g Ethernet Switch 1U | eBay

This is a Fulcrum 24 port 10G Ethernet switch for $390 with a "best offer" option. You can see the words "reference design" on the cover. Fulcrum, now owned by Intel, appears to have produced these switches to showcase their Ethernet chip prowess, intending to have other manufacturers adopt their technology and build commercial Ethernet switches.

If the switch works, it would be the cheapest 10G switch yet. It might be difficult or impossible to find firmware upgrades. It might be a challenge to figure out the management URL and password - if the switch even has management. But, then again, it's $17 per port!!

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
wow.... that is very interesting. Wonder what power consumption is. Tempting though.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Very nicely priced, tempted by too costly to get out here.

Press release 4 years ago:
Fulcrum Microsystems and Teranetics have announced the availability of a new 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch that packs 24 ports into a 1U chassis.

Targeting OEM customers, the new reference design, named Monte Carlo, offers 20x 10GBASE-T ports and four SFP+ ports.

Monte Carlo utilises Fulcrum’s low-latency FocalPoint FM4224 10 Gigabit Ethernet switch chip and Teranetics’ dual-port, triple-rate TN2022 10GBASE-T physical layer device, which offers latency four to five times lower than that of legacy copper Gigabit Ethernet solutions.

The FocalPoint FM4224 features 24x XAUI ports and utilises a low latency Ethernet switch architecture that includes Layer 3 functionality along with advanced classification, congestion management and system management capabilities.

These switches contain the features necessary to enable Ethernet as the single, converged data centre fabric for transporting and preserving inter-processor, storage and networking traffic.

Teranetics TN2022 is a second-generation PHY based on 65 nm process technology. TN2022 consumes 5.7 watts per port and is claimed to be the only dual-port 10GBASE-T PHY currently shipping in high volume.

The device features multi-rate capabilities, allowing auto-negotiation with existing RJ-45 ports running at 1 Gigabit or 100 Mbit/s. In addition, it provides enhanced cable monitoring and diagnostics capabilities that can help OEMs lower the cost of field support.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Heh, I happen to have one Fulcrum Monaco lying around. 24x SFP+s.
Doesn't work at the moment, ton of bulged capacitors and I'm not entirely sure is there any OS on the CF card.

au.to

Mar 10, 2013
I have some on ebay now I bought for production env and am getting some force 10 boxes. I have 2 on eBay now will make deal to forum member, the one I have is missing power supply fans and rom I don't know much about them or where to source the parts. The other has rom but I have not tried to log into it.