100gbe switches for dc with vxlan/bgp-evpn, uplink to hpe flexfabric 5940/5950 TOR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
We have been testing misc switches, and currently was planning on deploying dell 100G OS10 (Z9100 and S5232)
Its working, but debugging stuff, and resources for it, I feel its "just not there" support wise, dell support has been "interesting" the entire time with both Z9100 and newer S5232. plan A was not dell, but delivery times, and stock and we were suddenly.. dell with OS10 seemed tempting.

site A gets 2 for the spine, site B gets 2 for the spine, LR4 interconnects between sites and some 10G dwdm for even further backups between sites.

each site has some servers in a LACP directly to the spines + core routers, of course some TOR leafs, plan is to run all vxlan.

I dont have new cisco money, not that you can get new cisco.... but slightly used cisco, or arista is an option. I have *tons* of dell coded QSFP28's, so re-using some of them would be great. (SR4 mpo/mpt, SR4 bidi, CWDM4, LR4, ZR4) flexfabric 5950 would be "obvious" choice, but comware 7 is just dead theese days, and new AOS-CX switches seems unobtanium, and I'd rather go cisco/arista

looking at arista 7060, or cisco 9232,9236 or similar.

what would be your choices and why?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Arista
- works with all cables & transceivers so far*
- freely available documentation for eos commands
- "home lab" friendly aka silent compared to similar switches (it's possible to run fans at 30% and reducing noise drastically)

*arista 7050q-16; required to create an empty file for third party support

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I stopped using Dell and Aruba for high-end stuff. Also, what support? Last time I encountered their supports, I wanted to run away and scream at some tree for an hour. Everything has been outsourced. Greybeards with deep knowledge are in or nearing retirement. Good luck finding them. Some hang out here... thank God. Only support you need is extended 5 year warranty to make the accountant happy in case the hardware dies within the write-off period. Being slightly cynic here, please excuse.

Arista, Mellanox are my choices. People on here like Brocade too but I never used them. Must be because here in Europe I feel they are rarer.

Not homelab friendly, not worth your time and money. So yeah i386 is right.

Reactions: tjk

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
We have been testing misc switches, and currently was planning on deploying dell 100G OS10 (Z9100 and S5232)
Its working, but debugging stuff, and resources for it, I feel its "just not there" support wise, dell support has been "interesting" the entire time with both Z9100 and newer S5232. plan A was not dell, but delivery times, and stock and we were suddenly.. dell with OS10 seemed tempting.

site A gets 2 for the spine, site B gets 2 for the spine, LR4 interconnects between sites and some 10G dwdm for even further backups between sites.

each site has some servers in a LACP directly to the spines + core routers, of course some TOR leafs, plan is to run all vxlan.

I dont have new cisco money, not that you can get new cisco.... but slightly used cisco, or arista is an option. I have *tons* of dell coded QSFP28's, so re-using some of them would be great. (SR4 mpo/mpt, SR4 bidi, CWDM4, LR4, ZR4) flexfabric 5950 would be "obvious" choice, but comware 7 is just dead theese days, and new AOS-CX switches seems unobtanium, and I'd rather go cisco/arista

looking at arista 7060, or cisco 9232,9236 or similar.

what would be your choices and why?
I have 7060, love it.

vangoose

May 21, 2019
Canada
You don't need license for it, it's honor based.

The only license is 3rd party sfp but you can find the key easily.