100GbE small server to 3-4 workstation, no switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
Ok thanks,

I'll try that, the connection between the two computers was working when I plugged them both into my 10g network (with switch/DHCP), so I didn't even think about workgroup/domain settings. Just trying to get two W10 Pro machines talking to each other now...

Apologies for my newbieness! I'm coming from macs, so the crash course in DC network stuff and win at once is a little overwhelming!

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
To see other hosts under network you will need the correct configuration for the domain/working group
I'm still struggling to get this working consistently, I got it up, mapped a network drive, but then tried to make that with admin privileges, and now the network drive remains and works (although it doesn't appear to have admin), but the workstation no longer sees the server under explorer/network. I changed the default workgroup to 'STUDIO'.

I can see the workstation from the server and access shares going that way, but not the other way around. I could do both ways before I tried to map with admin, not sure that's what caused it to disappear. Any suggestions? I did use a generic W10 Pro Key for now, not sure if that has something to do with it, wiped and reinstalled yesterday.

Ultimately I'm going to set up W Server 2019 and W Pro for workstation for RDMA, but right now an program I need won't allow the option of getting it's data from the network drive, it needs the drive to have admin, so that's where I'm stuck. I'm hoping to make sure this is all working before buying a mobo that's compatible with W Server.

Thanks again!

RyanCo

Jan 19, 2021
Just wanted to post back to the thread that I found the problem, it won't work in 20H2. I had installed that thinking that it would be best to be up to current with the 5950x, but everything is working after a rollback.