10 GbE NICs...how to use these?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Apologies for the dumb thread title.

I've been losing sleep on how to deploy a 10 GbE home network given that 10 GbE switches are ridiculously more expensive than QDR infiniband switches but then it just dawned on me.

Can you use optical transceivers and still get 10 Gb/s of networking bandwidth? And does the fiber switch have to be capable of 10 GbE or does it just need to be a fiber switch?(I mean light is light, but just gotta ask). Do I have to use 10GbE-rated optical transceivers or can I use any transceiver? I have a random Dell FTLF8519P2BNL lying around that fit this connectx-2 card just fine...

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If you don't need many ports netgear has a nice 14? (forget #) 1GigE + 4x 10GigE switch ~$500 which is ~the IB switches [used].

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
You are talking about the SFP+ cages... SFP+ is for 10Gbps and SFP is for 1Gbps. Yes, you need 10Gbps rated transceivers, which are relatively cheap off of fiberstore. Some switches and cards lock you into manufacturers, but fiberstore can code them. Mellanox is pretty agnostic of brand.

Reactions: T_Minus

ofoptics

Aug 4, 2015
Shenzhen, China
en.ofweek.com
Yes, as mentioned above, you need 10GbE-rated optical transceivers to get 10 Gb/s of networking bandwidth. The prefer option is 10G SFP+, from third party is really cheap, last time I bought from en.OFweek is great, not any issues.

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
Ok, just got to a computer so can search. The transceiver you specified appears to be a gigabit transceiver.

Here are some parts you can use, I've ordered boatloads of this for work:
Cisco SFP-10G-SR 10GBASE-SR SFP+ Module-$16
LC-LC Duplex OM2 50/125 Mulitmode Fiber Patch Cable | Fiberstore

I assume you are talking about the 10Gbps Mellanox cards?
may i ask why OM2 cables?
i've read somewhere that OM1-2 for 1gbit and OM3-4 for 10gbit networking
so why not some of this:
10G OM3 Duplex Fiber Patch Cables On Sale From Fiberstore.com
or:
10G OM4 50/125 Multimode duplex Fiber Patch Cord For Sales | Fiberstore
or why not to use armored cables?
10G Armored Patch Cable,10G Armored Fiber Patch Cord For Sale
any downsides beside $5 higher price? :]

ISRV

Jul 11, 2015
also, if i'd like to use 3mm thick cables instead of 2mm default, is this a bad idea?
maybe they bent with higher radius?
i guess 3mm should be more reliable, or not?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
also, if i'd like to use 3mm thick cables instead of 2mm default, is this a bad idea?
maybe they bent with higher radius?
i guess 3mm should be more reliable, or not?
I use 2mm everywhere except in locations where the cables are exposed to passers-by. Most of my equipment is in locked cabinets, but I occasionally install switches in customer cabinets which may not even have doors.

At the density you are looking at, it doesn't really make a difference. In my situation I have to manage slack storage for dozens or even hundreds of patch cords, so 2mm makes things a lot easier.

Another thing I've found is that 3mm cables occasionally come in with a very stiff jacket. I don't know if the vendors are substituting plenum grade when they run out of regular fiber or if it is just a cheaper jacket. The result is that the fiber tends to kink rather than bend. I've never had that with a 2mm cable.
may i ask why OM2 cables?
It wasn't my recommendation, so I can't say for sure. With the distances involved in your setup, pretty much any 50/125 fiber will work (assuming you're using -SR optics). There isn't a big price difference between OM3 and OM4 from the economy patch cord vendors.

Fiberstore (which your post referenced) is good, but be aware that many of their products ship from Asia and have a longer delivery time than you might expect.