10 and 40 Gb networking on the cheap ($5 - $10)

Babbsdrebbler

Nov 17, 2020
Yes, with the adapter I got TrueNAS to recognize the 561FLR-T and collect an IP via DHCP.
Unfortunately I'm still in the process of buying a 10GbE switch and new motherboards with 2 8x PCIe Slots to setup networking.
Hence I could not test 10GB speeds and stability. Also the quality of the soldering on the adapter is not the greatest, I need to practice more...

The adapter popped up on a German shop which saved me some waiting time.

Last edited:

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Yes, with the adapter I got TrueNAS to recognize the 561FLR-T and collect an IP via DHCP.
Unfortunately I'm still in the process of buying a 10GbE switch and new motherboards with 2 8x PCIe Slots to setup networking.
Hence I could not test 10GB speeds and stability. Also the quality of the soldering on the adapter is not the greatest, I need to practice more...

The adapter popped up on a German shop which saved me some waiting time.
Okay, good to hear. I think I will pick up some 533FLR-T then. Was the shop sysmocom? That's where I ordered my adapters from.

Babbsdrebbler

Nov 17, 2020
Yes, I also got them from there.

The problem with these adapters and cards is securing them in place and getting a good connection.
In one of my cases the rj45 sockets need to be jammed into the open slot to be externally accessible and that keeps the card from sagging down. In my other case I need to feed the cable to the inside of the case and I need something to support the card so it doesn’t fall down.

On the other hand getting a x540 for 40€ in Germany is quite rare, so I’m willing to put some time into it.