Search results

1. T

How to keep Proliant FW/SW/drivers current between SPP releases?

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but I need some best practices advice on how to keep my server up to date. I've been in this industry for the last ~20 years, mainly as a software developer but had my years doing server support too way back in the late 90s. Now I'm a freelance devloper...
  2. T

What will happen with ZFS now Solaris is gone?

"For those unaware, Oracle laid off ~ all Solaris tech staff yesterday in a classic silent EOL of the product." (from twitter a few days ago, sorry if this is old news) Source: Simon Phipps on Twitter And Oracle Finally Killed Sun My main concern is what will happen with ZFS? Will Solaris go...
  3. T

[SOLVED] - DL380 Gen9, iLO_300_DriveStatusChanged_Failed

Problem solved! A short recap, also see the summary in this threads post #18 here. After updating the server with the latest SPP and populating box3 with 8 sata hdd's, the first service request was sent from the server and HPE support called me. Before this I've used the server with two ssd's...
  4. T

[SOLVED] DL380 UEFI shell USB key not working

Proliant DL380 Gen9 UEFI shell What's the trick to get a usb key to show up in the UEFI shell of this server? I've tried different sizes, ntfs, exfat, gpt. Also tried different USB ports around the server. During boot it lists the usb key so I know that the system can detect it. And in the...
  5. T

[SOLVED] Trouble registering my server with HPE

[SOLVED] After some time I wanted to get the SPP and step up my game with my Proliant DL380 gen9. I know I need to register for this, but I wasn't aware of the trouble that follows. This might be easy for any company with a support agreement, but I'm not. I'm just one personal non-business...
  6. T

E5-2620 v4 - DDR4 2133 vs DDR4 2400

I'm a bit confused about why HP don't recommend ddr4 2133 for the E5-2620 v4 CPU's. The Intel E5-2620 v4 supports up to DDR4 2133, still HP recommends to use only DDR4 2400 memory. Why's that? And what's the better choice? I'm considering either one of these based on your feedback. Samsung...
  7. T

Crossflashing OEM 9300-8e to LSI IT firmware, 100% compatible?

Are there any differences between the IBM/Lenovo/DELL/other OEM's and the original LSI 9300-8e HBA except the price? Particularly related to getting a true/clean fully functional IT firmware 100% working. My reason for asking this is that some users seems to have compatibility issues when...
  8. T

HP StorageWorks D2600 (12xLFF)

I can't find any info on noise levels from the fans and PSU in this unit. Anyone have a number on this, idle, as I'm only concerned with the fan/PSU noise. Or is the Dell counterpart a better option? Which HBA is the better option to controll this unit? Keep in mind I don't need the raid part...
  9. T

ProLiant DL180 gen 9 vs custom build with Asus Z10PE-D16

Hi, My Supermicro X9SAE died so I need a new server. I'm debating whether to build a new server or buy the HPE ProLiant DL180 Gen 9. My primary use for this server is as a vmware esxi server hosting pfsense, solaris, and a couple of Windows, OS X, Linux and FreeBSD vm's. I'm mostly doing web...
  10. T

HDD firmware updates, best practice

Setup is vmware ESXi 5.1 with LSI HBA in passthrough and the disks is used in Solaris with ZFS. I finaly got smartmontools running from Solaris. Looked at how napp-it did it (install and config of smartmontools and the runtime parameters). Don't know why previous attempts has faild me, but...
  11. T

xeon e3-1245v2 socket 1155 cpu cooler

Hi I need a CPU cooler recommendation. The chassis is Norco 2212. (2U, so the cooler can't be too high). The motherboard will be the Supermicro X9SAE. (has 4pin PWM) Max CPU TDP is set to 77W (ark.intel source) The system is mostly idle. No heavy load either (running esxi 5.1 with...
  12. T

Solaris 11.1 - basic commands, zfs mandatory create parameters, LSI HBA hot-swap

So, I'm new to Unix/Solaris. But with 16yrs in Linux/Slackware, so not new to the shell way of doing things. This is mostly a test to try Solaris, learning by curiosity and reading the online docs. Also I'm new with ZFS, just tried it on FreeBSD 9 to get going and it worked well for my...
  13. T

Solaris 11.1 - zpool import failed with unavail, insufficient replicas, cannot open

Hi Need some help to figure out what my options are. I had FreeBSD 9 installed under vmware ESXi 5.1 and a zpool "tank1" created and filled with data. (only 1 HDD). Verified that I could export and import the zpool without problems. Now, I'm running Solaris 11.1 (fresh install on...
  14. T

Supermicro 846 series chassis, backplane model SAS2-846EL1, compatible HBA

Hi Got a question about the backplane model SAS2-846EL1 found on the SC846 series chassis. The SC846BE16-R920B chassis is the one I'm looking at. See the pdf documentation here, Appendix E, page E-3. http://www.supermicro.nl/manuals/chassis/tower/SC846.pdf It's a 24 bay chassis, but...
  15. T

ASRock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 - problem with PCIe passthrough

Hi Would love some help/input on my hardware situation under ESXi 5.1 My old base setup is as follows: ASRock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3, socket 1155 Intel Core i7-2600 @3.4GHz Crucial Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz CL8 (8-8-8-24, 1.5V W/XMP) Norco RPC-2212 chassis To this I've...