Search results

1. E

Pluggable 2.5Gbps USBC-E2500 Asymmetric Speeds

Have an interesting problem - there might not be a solution (aka hardware limitation), but I figured I'd float it and see if anyone else has encountered it. I have two WIN11 PCs, each with a USBC-E2500 adapter. Using a crossover cable and iperf3, I can fully max out the UL and DL rates. I get...
  2. E

NEW! Topton 10Gb 2xSFP+ 4x2.5Gb i5-1240P

A final note, this was an error on my part. I was selecting "all functions" when adding the PCI device in Proxmox. With that unselected, I was able to add one SFP+ port as passthrough and one as virtualized. Handy, depending on what you want to do with it.
  3. E

Sadly, it appears that pfSense (aka FreeBSD) does not support SRV-IO VF interfaces. They fail to show up in the guest OS. More than a few posts out there on it. I found one that claimed adding a line to the /boot/loader.conf.local file ( hw.pci.honor_msi_blacklist=0 ) would magically make it...
  4. E

I think I will do some research on this and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.
  5. E

With a virtualized copy of pfSense 2.7.2 running in proxmox 8.1.4, the performance testing was: Virtualized nics (virtio) linked to the 10G ports were all over the map. The best I could do was around 8 Gbps, but it was inconsistent as heck. Always above 6 Gbps though. I only had one other VM...
  6. E

Well I am quite happy to post this update. My Topton box with the 1240P processor and 10G SFP+ ports arrived today. TLDR: The device can push 20 Gbps (10 in and 10 out) with packet inspection enabled. My setup: - two PCs, both with 82599 (X520) cards connected by fiber to the topton running...
  7. E

Can Windows 11 do 10 Gbps?

@jdnz for the win. Thanks to everyone for posting thoughts and experiences on this. I didn't RTFM apparently! The shared PCI bandwidth on my Motherboard seems to have been the issue. After moving the card to the other "x16" slot that shares with the GPU, I topped out iperf3 at 9.71 Gbits...
  8. E

I have tried with the parallel option as well. > iperf3 -c <host> -w 1024k -P 4 It gives me a tiny bit extra up to 7 Gbps, no benefit from adding more threads. There is definitely a bottleneck, but what I wonder.
  9. E

I am new to the world of fiber networks, so I thought I'd dip my toes in cautiously to start with a small investment before diving into switches. My goal, directly connect two machines via 10 G Fiber and get full bandwidth. In short, I have partially succeeded as it is a bit lack luster and a...
  10. E

Interesting PCIe nuances being discussed here. The built in NICs on this box are intel i226-v, which are part of the main board. They should have PCI 3.1 interfaces according to Intel's spec page. The NVME drive says on the Topton spec page that it is PCI 3.0. So the mainboard is likely PCIe...
  11. E

It was almost perfect, but then they halved the number of lanes to the network card. Shame! All said and done, this will still do the trick for me. With my up and downstream network being the limiting factor, the most I need to push through this box as a firewall is 2 x 3 = 6 Gbps. (I misspoke...
  12. E

I ordered it from AliExpress. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005005713408825.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt Make sure to select the right options: processor/ports/ram/storage for your needs.
  13. E

This article shows some graphs that support the above statement. https://ahelpme.com/linux/tips/dual-10gbit-network-using-pci-2-0-5gt-s-x4-what-is-the-maximum-bandwidth/ The tech spec page on AliExpress is a bit confusing on the pci-e bus side of things. It shows the NVME slot is PCI-E 3.0 by...
  14. E

Does anyone have iPerf results for the 1240p model on the 10G port?
  15. E

@themeuge Thanks for posting this. I am almost ready to buy this same model (1240p) for my incoming fiber installation and was wondering how well its been working out for you. You are still running pfSense? Which version? The e-core/p-core topic had me interested. Since you won't ever really...