Search results

1. T

Hard disk drive handing guidelines video (from HGST)

So, how much of that video is "true" and how much of it is HGST covering their behinds? I'm sure that avoiding all forms of shock is a good mindset, but say I do bump a drive during installation, how "bad" is it really? I don't really handle drives with this level of care, and I haven't only...
  2. T

10G network cards that work in a EMC/Lenovo Storcenter PX12-350r

I have a storcenter px12-350r that I'm using as my main nas. It has got 8 1gig connections at the moment (4 by default, 4 more through a network card I had laying around and didn't need for anything else, so under the motto "more ports = more better" decided to put it in even though there is...
  3. T

Mellanox ConnectX 2 and Win 10 (again)

Well, I just installed Server 2016 instead. Is working OK (only having issues with the fact that changing my MTU breaks network folders to the point it crashes explorer every time it tries to load a file from the network).
  4. T

Mellanox ConnectX 2 and Win 10 (again)

Hi guys, I have a strange issue with my connectX2 card and windows 10. Windows 10 recognizes the card just fine, and it let me install the Mellanox drivers without any issues. It knows it's a network interface and all that. But, for some inexplicable reason, it decides not to use it as an...
  5. T

Likely going to start playing with fiber - what to look out for?

Thats great to know. Melanox SFP+ cards in europe seem to go for about 40 euros a piece on ebay, some only in sets of 2 with a DAC cable thrown in. Seems like I'll start ordering tonight then. Thanks!
  6. T

Seeing as you seem to have both Intel cards and Mellanox ConnectX2 cards: what are the differences? I've heard that with gigabit, the intel cards can do a decent amount of unloading and such, and will thus usually perform better (and have more driver options) as to say something by a "consumer"...
  7. T

Thats exactly what I needed to know! Thanks a lot for the help, it made a big difference. I think I understand enough to start more research and playing around with this.
  8. T

Great! I think I have enought to start ordering stuff this weekend. I just have one last question that I can't seem to find any Yes/no awnser too: If I get a pre-terminated cables like the one in the link below, will it fit any SFP+ 10G multimode SR module? Or do I have to pay attention to what...
  9. T

Thanks for the response. I didn't know there was so much locking of vendors between modules. I was looking at getting one of those Quanta switches, heard they pretty much support every brand of module. Good to know intel NICs are picky about their modules tho. What about using different brands...
  10. T

This summer I'm going to play around with upgrading to fiber for some networking. I want to do it so I have some experience with it - I have CAT6A cables through the house so (for now) it's not like I need an upgrade. The questions I have are related to how to select my hardware. With Copper...