Search results

1. M

FS [USA-IN]: Updated Price, added items: 6 x Intel Nuc Nuc8i7HVK, 20 x 8gb ddr4 Sodimm [W] Paypal

Do you still have any of the Hades Canyon NUCs left to sell? If so, could you ship one to Malta (EU)?
  2. M

Motherboard choice - Asus P10S-M vs Supermicro X11SSH-F

I only have one of those 3TB disks for now - and I'll be getting 3 others to have a RAID10 config. Quite frankly, I would also choose 4,6 or even 8TB disks to start with - I just don't have the budget for those right now, and I'd like some performance and redundancy increase which is why I'm...
  3. M

I generally don't buy used which is why I said the pike is cheaper from what I've seen. Regards to details, this is what I had in mind, with the budget set to 800 euros for the server and the remainder for storage : System Build - PCPartPicker Deutschland As of right now those are my...
  4. M

I'd go with SAS3, especially since if I were to choose the Asus board, their Pike 3008 card is something I would've added if needed, and it's quite cheap compared to other controllers. I'd rather not buy a board with speed limitations so probably I'd go with the supermicro board then - 2 Raid...
  5. M

I'll probably go with the supermicro board then, especially since it has integrated IPMI and effectively 3 more storage slots in the same form factor. An X99/C612 based server is around €100 from my chosen e-tailer, and that's pairing an Asus Z10PA-U8 with a Xeon E5-1620v3, which I wouldn't...
  6. M

Basically what the title says, I'm looking to decide between these two motherboards for my upcoming NAS build: P10S-M-DC | Servers & Workstations | ASUS Global X11SSH-F | Motherboards | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. The issue I have with these boards is more on the amount of pci-e...
  7. M

Newbie looking to get into the server world.

Definitely. I'll probably get one of the new Intel 600p SSDs. I'll amend the choice of RAM for the 2nd build accordingly.
  8. M

Then I am definitely better off saving some money by having no iGPU. I put the e3-1230v5 in that build and decided to look for different motherboards. I didn't find many motherboards I liked with the consumer-oriented 115x socket so I kept the original one for build 1. For build 2 however, I...
  9. M

Never knew that the ASMB8-iKVM was required for Asus motherboards - I presumed you just needed to use the IPMI port on the back I/O and go from there. It doesn't seem like that they bundle that module with any of their motherboards, at least the ones I was looking at, and sadly it does look like...
  10. M

I went for those power supplies due to how many SATA drives they can power. I thought I'd stick with a safe bet of having a high-watt power supply with the right amount of SATA connectors since I don't know any other way of powering SATA drives. With regards to the E3 system, should I get 64GB...
  11. M

I decided to go for 3TB disks since I usually find them to be the best price/storage drives, but going for 4TB disks very much a possibility I could consider. The Xeon E3 system was done with intention for it to only serve as a NAS, with anything else that I could do with it being a bonus...
  12. M

Good morning/afternoon/evening reader, whatever applies when you're seeing this! I've been considering building a new machine to offer a NAS service for my important data and while I feel that I have sufficient knowledge in setting up the required software, I'd also like to know what else I...
  13. M

Asus Z10PE-D8 WS/D16 WS successor?

Basically what's written in the title. I was curious since I intend to build a dual-socket low powered storage server sometime in the future, and with all of these new Broadwell-E motherboards coming out, I was curious if the Xeon E5-26xxv4 would get some dedicated server motherboards. So is...
  14. M

Usefulness of a second-hand Dell Poweredge R610?

I guess coincidentally it's a good thing then that I was going to throw a set of 2TB WD Reds. As far as choice goes, this is pretty much the only used server I could find in my country after scrolling the better part of 60 pages worth of results, and I don't think I would be able to find...
  15. M

I too thought having 6 drive bays was a bit of a low number at first, but I don't think I will need any more than that to be honest. I was looking at a couple of 2U and 3U chassis since usually those can house anywhere between 10-24 drives for a circa €1000 build, but I'm not sure if I will both...
  16. M

Dell Poweredge Rack Server R610 Basically I was browsing for parts to build a cheap home server, and I stumbled upon this. Usually I like building my own machines but this seems like too good an offer to pass upon, especially for someone who's still new to this networking/server stuff. Spec...
  17. M

NAS/Router build list

I've amended the PSU choice since my assumption with regards to dual rail PSUs doesn't seem to make a difference. I was going with Windows Server 2012 for an OS - is freeNAS relatively a better choice?
  18. M

NAS/Router build list

Cooked up something different with this list: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant Other: RPC 3116 (3U Rackmount) (€342.33) Other: ASUS P9D-C Sockel 1150 ATX (€175.91) Other: Reference Intel CPU Heatsink (€0.00) Other: Kingston 16GB DDR3L PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 240p DIMM (ECC +...
  19. M

NAS/Router build list

Damn, that looks like a really good deal, but they don't ship worldwide/to Malta. But thanks for that anyway - should I need it, I'll find a third party to ship the parts.
  20. M

NAS/Router build list

I put the 1TB drives there because I was at loggerheads as to choose between WD Purple and WD Red - kind of like having placeholders. I was looking for around a €1000 without the drives (I'd start with 4 minimum and then expand as needed). I'll amend the CPU and the amount of SAS to SATA cables.