Usefulness of a second-hand Dell Poweredge R610?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Michael Dimech

Mar 19, 2016
Last edited:

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
It would do you as a good web server, but it's lacking storage space for a NAS. They are decent servers, but don't really fit in your AIO scenario too well, plus they are power hungry too. Remember, it's only a good deal if it meets your requirements :)

Michael Dimech

Mar 19, 2016
It would do you as a good web server, but it's lacking storage space for a NAS. They are decent servers, but don't really fit in your AIO scenario too well, plus they are power hungry too. Remember, it's only a good deal if it meets your requirements :)
I too thought having 6 drive bays was a bit of a low number at first, but I don't think I will need any more than that to be honest. I was looking at a couple of 2U and 3U chassis since usually those can house anywhere between 10-24 drives for a circa €1000 build, but I'm not sure if I will both need it, or be able to increase my budget to have such an expansive chassis for that matter.

I was more looking into processing power in general considering how old the system is in general, with drive bays being secondary.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I wouldn't touch the one you linked the PERC6/iR can't handle disks larger than 2tb and is only SATA3 it's not bad hardware but it's slower than the H700 that replaced it. if you're looking for something from that generation I'd look towards a R710 3.5 hdd's will offer a lot more storage if you get one with the newer raid controller that or more smaller drives, either works and they aren't hugely seperate on price.

Michael Dimech

Mar 19, 2016
I wouldn't touch the one you linked the PERC6/iR can't handle disks larger than 2tb and is only SATA3 it's not bad hardware but it's slower than the H700 that replaced it. if you're looking for something from that generation I'd look towards a R710 3.5 hdd's will offer a lot more storage if you get one with the newer raid controller that or more smaller drives, either works and they aren't hugely seperate on price.
I guess coincidentally it's a good thing then that I was going to throw a set of 2TB WD Reds.

As far as choice goes, this is pretty much the only used server I could find in my country after scrolling the better part of 60 pages worth of results, and I don't think I would be able to find anything better than this.

I wasn't able to find information on this, but with regards to the PERC6/iR controller, is it possible to change that controller, or is it integrated into the board?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Note that the r610 is a 1u chassis so 6x2.5" disks. As those don't come > 2tb, the PERC6 limitation isn't that big of a deal. Throughout will hurt at the top end due to SATA3, but only when you really max it out - or if you were loading it full of SSD's.

You certainly can change the controller out. A PERC H700p will fit in the integrated slot, or an H700i any PCIE slot - there are two in the unit.

I didn't think they made WD RED's in 2.5"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Note that the r610 is a 1u chassis so 6x2.5" disks. As those don't come > 2tb, the PERC6 limitation isn't that big of a deal. Throughout will hurt at the top end due to SATA3, but only when you really max it out - or if you were loading it full of SSD's.

You certainly can change the controller out. A PERC H700p will fit in the integrated slot, or an H700i any PCIE slot - there are two in the unit.

I didn't think they made WD RED's in 2.5"?

actually although hard to find 3 and 4tb 2.5 inch drives do exist, I was able to find both the ST4000LM016 and ST3000LM016 on CDW and ebay, not sure about in his country but you could fit 8x4tb in an R710 now easily enough, or 6x4tb in the 610 with a h700 perc(I'd probably lean towards the 710 with 2 small os ssd 2 large fast ssd and 4 4tb spinners to do SSD+cache but that's above and beyond what he's looking to build)

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Interesting, totally wasn't aware! Though there's a HELL of a price swing. Up to $500 each on eBay, as low as $139 on Amazon. Probably not a lot of folks going that way for a NAS to keep costs down vs 3.5", but good to have options. Even at 5400rpm, twice the spindles in 2u makes up for that in a hurry.

I'd totally put one in a laptop optically bay slot though, now that I know of them!