Search results

1. H

New server build: 2x E5-2670 project - Advice for first timer

I've now had my server up and running for about 1.5 months now, and it's been running flawlessly. I set it up with Proxmox, and have set up several VM's on it. Temps are surprisingly low. Even when it's under heavy load, the passive heatsinks do a good job of controlling temps. Noise is also...
  2. H

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Now I don't feel so bad for posting that link. Here's a new one, though.... Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeSwitch™ 16 XG
  3. H

From the Ubiquiti forums, regarding the new 10G switch: New EdgeSwitch models ES-16-XG and ES-8-150W - Ubiquiti Networks Community [Edit] Another post there by a Ubiquiti employee says the plan is to post the new switches on their site on Wednesday (tomorrow?). We'll see.
  4. H

Anyone looking at the Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES-48-LITE (48 port non-POE with 2 SFP+ and 2 SFP), it looks like it's finally coming back into stock. B&H has it for $399. Ubiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch 48 Lite 48-Port Managed ES-48-LITE
  5. H

Citrix XenServer VS Proxmox

I just got my new server up and going, and tried out both Xenserver and Proxmox, and while I'm not an expert on either yet, Proxmox was far easier to configure for me. I was able to easily set up a ZFS mirror for the system volumes, and a RAIDz2 for the datastore essentially. I could've done...
  6. H

Does anyone have experience with the Trendnet, and how it compares to the CRS226? I'm looking at getting a gigabit switch with SFP+, but can't decide yet on what I should go for. I spent most of my recent budget building my new server, but I really need an upgrade to my primary switch.
  7. H

Updated my original post, as I think I now have everything I need on order or already here. I've got the motherboard, CPUs and RAM from Natex, and everything looks to be in good condition there. Air duct and heatsinks are also here. My Intel P4000M chassis will be here tomorrow, and then I'll...
  8. H

Video card for P4000/S2600CP combo

I think that the board only redirects graphics to the RMM module from the onboard graphics. It's possible that with a discrete GPU installed, that after that first initial post the board is outputting all video out over the GPU you installed, so it's not showing anything in the console redirect...
  9. H

Problem with new Intel s2600cp build

I just got my kit today. Everything was packed well, and the board was super clean. I got a call the other day from Mike before they shipped it letting me know they were going to flash the bios for me and get it fan configured for an Intel P4000M chassis for me before they shipped it. I thought...
  10. H

Yup... Completely missed the 1-2 months part on the Amazon page. Oh well. I've been waiting for these to come back in stock as well.
  11. H

I don't know if they've been discontinued or what, as they seem to be out of stock everywhere, but Ubiquiti did have the Edgeswitch Lite 48 port switch that has 2 SFP and 2 SFP + ports on it. It usually ran about $400 or so, and lacks the PoE features of the higher end EdgeSwitch's. [EDIT]...
  12. H

So another update on my build. I think I was able to find everything I needed to use the P4000M chassis. Because I'm planning on using the 3.5 drives, I went with the Intel P4308XXMFGN from kalleyomalley. Can't beat it for $100. Also ordered an I/O shield as well for $6. It doesn't have the hot...
  13. H

So I've been looking into what I would need, should I go with the Intel chassis. My concern is that I can't completely identify everything I would need to complete the build. I see that some of the air ducts say they have a unique cable kit, leading me to think that I would be missing something...
  14. H

I'm definitely thinking about the 8x3.5 cage. I also saw this from the same seller. It doesn't have dual PSU's, but it has the 3.5in cage. Granted it looks like they're fixed, not hot swap. Would it be worth it over the other one? Intel P4308XXMFGN Server Chassis 4U 750W. New Bulk Packaging...
  15. H

That's tempting for sure. Shipping would be the question there. I don't imagine that part being cheap. :) I also wonder if a 465W power supply would be sufficient to power the machine effectively and leave room to add components such as additional drives in the future. Also, how is the fan...
  16. H

So after months and months of waiting and deliberation, I'm starting to acquire parts for my new (first time) server build. I have immense experience building and working with desktop PC's, but my server up to this point has been an old, out of date Dell Poweredge 840. It's just not good enough...
  17. H

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

While I don't know the power draw of my PowerEdge 840, I do know it isn't the most power friendly setup. My hope is that I don't increase my power bill too much. I just couldn't say no to a server of this magnitude.
  18. H

Thanks. I still have a lot to get for it. I'll have to get the parts in stages, (in order to appease the wife) so it might be a little bit before the build is complete. I plan to order the minimum necessary to set it up on a test bench and ensure that everything works.
  19. H

I've been lurking here for a while now. I found this site as I was looking into options to put together a new server, as well as upgrade my primary network switch. My current server has been in desperate need of being upgraded. Only so much an old Dell Poweredge 840 with 4GB Ram can do today. I...