Search results

1. B

First ASRock Rack / EPYC Milan build! but... no POST?

Just as a fun little benchmark, I was able to compile LLVM's current main branch in 2 minutes 9 seconds :D git clone https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project cd llvm-project mkdir build cd build cmake -G Ninja ../llvm -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release time ninja
  2. B

I haven't found a barebones Supermico server for sale that fits what I need, so I ended up with that Gigabyte R282-Z90 I mentioned previously. It cost a bit more than the ASRock 2U2E-F/ROME2, but it has a few advantages: PSUs that handle either 100-120V or 200-240V. essential for my home lab...
  3. B

Depending on how ASRock responds, I may end up swapping the 2U2E-F/ROME2 server for a Gigabyte R282-Z90 (rev. A00) Does anyone have any opinions on ASRock vs Gigabyte? It'd be a $200 price increase, but I'd also get a few extra PCIE x8 slots, which would be nice. Edit: It looks like Gigabyte...
  4. B

Yep, I understand the reasoning. If I had a higher voltage option at home, I'd keep them for better efficiency.
  5. B

I know, right? :D tbf, I did check the voltage when buying it... it's just that many US power supplies will handle 220/240v as well as 110/120v (like when we travel with our laptops to EU and can use a simple adapter to plug them in without down-stepping voltage). So I read it and it didn't...
  6. B

ASRock is checking to see if they can swap out the PSUs for me. Can't believe I missed that. I would have realized it much sooner if the PSUs hadn't been clicking on with the BMC running the whole time o_O Thanks for all your help and suggestions, @RolloZ170 !
  7. B

Oh heck. I picked up a server that uses 200v-240v and didn't realize it. My home lab is normal U.S. 120v. That's what was causing those voltage sensors to report 0V. It's a wonder that the BMC was turning on at all.
  8. B

Good idea. I removed the battery to test voltage, but I didn't let the board rest for a while without it. I'll do that now.
  9. B

Okay. You're more confident than I am that 3.10 adds support for Milan-X. I don't see anything in the BIOS version notes mentioning Milan-X or 3D V-Cache support being added in 3.10, and there are no Milan-X CPUs listed in the supported CPU list. Yeah, that seems fine. I've reseated the CPU, as...
  10. B

If this server doesn't support 7773X at all, even with the latest BIOS version, then it sounds like I'll be sending it back to get something else that will support Milan-X.
  11. B

I did, but there was no way to verify that it succeeded, because it isn't POSTing.
  12. B

Riiiight right right, that's how the 7773X is able to have 768MB L3 cache. I knew that, and forgot. Thanks! I guess that brings me back to my previous conclusion, that I might need ASRock to mail me a BIOS chip.
  13. B

Hrm, Milan-X are still part of the 7003 line, so my understanding was that the improvements were purely internal, and that Milan and Milan-X motherboard compatibility are the same. But you bring up a good point. I don't actually see 7773X in that CPU support list.
  14. B

I was going by this, which says there needs to be a BIOS update: But you're right, this list says that all supported Milan CPUs have always been supported in BIOS:
  15. B

Hm, okay. Do you know if lack of Milan support would cause it not to POST? (If that's the case, then I might need ASRock to mail me a BIOS chip with the newest BIOS version.)
  16. B

I know, right? :D It's replacing my old 2x E5-2699 v4 system with 256GB DDR4-2400, that I have running on an ASUS Z10PE D16 WS (where I've done some BIOS editing for PCIE bifurcation support). I'm working on a project that's using a *huge* amount of memory, and AWS EC2 time is expensive, so here...
  17. B

Also here's a photo of how I have the motherboard populated. You can see the BMC heartbeat LED lit up, next to the Dr. Debug 7-segment display, and an SB_PWR LED lit up, next to the left riser slot. Sometimes when the system attempts to power on, some other LEDs near the fans will flash on for...
  18. B

This thread primarily concerns figuring out the ROME2D32LM3 motherboard, as opposed to showing off a new full build, so I think I put it in the right spot, but I'm new here, so I may have gotten the location wrong for my post. Let me know :)
  19. B

Oh, additionally, I'm seeing a couple PSU voltage alerts -- but I think those are just from physically unplugging the machine in order to power cycle it. But you can also see how the BIOS firmware version is still showing as blank. Thanks for any insights you might have!
  20. B

I'm super excited about this build! I'm using an ASRock Rack 2U2E-F/ROME2 server (ROME2D32LM3 motherboard) with 2x EPYC 7773X and 32x64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 RDIMM memory. It's a beast! But... are there folks here who are familiar with ASRock's rack servers? The system just won't power on. No...