Search results

1. M

Hisource Hi-K0402WS absolutely tiny 2xSFP+ 4x2.5GBase-T unmanaged switch

Does anyone have experience with this tiny cheap switch? There were a ton of port numbers and configurations available on AliExpress. The 2xSFP+ 4x2.5Base-T was $35.08 including tax and shipping from China to the US. I was having trouble getting my employer managed computer on its own SubLAN...
  2. M

How do I get my Mikrotik L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN Router to connect at 2.5Gbps?

I have a Mikrotik L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN Router running Router OS connected to a CRS309-1G-8S+IN running SwOS. I have tried connecting them with both DAC and Cisco Finisar 850nm MMF transceivers (10Gbps capable). They will only negotiate a 1Gbps connection. I have also been unable to get 2.5Gbps...
  3. M

OK to put a wireless printers on trusted "family" VLANs?

Should I put my wireless printers on my IoT VLAN with my thermostats, security cameras, and appliances which only communicate through a remote server, put it on a trusted VLAN, or create its own VLAN? I'm going to want trusted folks (mostly wifi phones and laptops) to print. The upstairs...
  4. M

Dedicated 2.5GBASE-T SFP+ transceivers that run cooler than 10GBASE-T transceivers?

My main switch (MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN) is running very hot with 3 10GBASE-T SFP+ transceivers (even spaced in non-agacent ports). I did the popular fan mod but it was loud and only kept the closest port cool. I have a 10GBASE-T NAS, a 2.5GBASE-T WiFi Router (Multiple VLANS--untagged so it...
  5. M

Need help choosing a Router for this large but simple network

I'm looking for the cheapest most compact (and preferably fanless) router (but a fan is not a deal breaker) which will never be a bottleneck for ~150-300Mbps internet (Starlink--I'm rural)--Basically I want more than adequate hardware but not overkill. I want to run the router on bare metal (no...
  6. M

Can OpenWRT assign the extra WAN ports on an Access Point to VLANs?

I'm not able to get as many Ethernet runs back to one room in a star formation due to older construction. I am running trunk lines to three access points and in 2 of those rooms I'd like to use the access points as switches as well. VLANS: Office (10Gb in one room, all hard wired--DAC and...
  7. M

NAS external USB backup drive spindown behavior

I have an ASUSTOR Flashstor 12 arriving in 2 days and a refurb 10TD 7200RPM SATA enterprise HD arriving tomorrow. I plan to do nightly incremental backups over USB. I almost bought this USB 3,0 to SATA chassis until I read the reviews that it does not spin down until the host computer sleeps...
  8. M

Review Request: SODOLA 12-Port SFP+ Managed Swich B0B8SJWV2S

$249 on Amazon with limited lifetime warranty? Even has an RJ45 console port. This looks like a screaming deal. https://www.amazon.com/SFP-Managed-Prevention-Lifetime-Protection/dp/B0B8SJWV2S What are the catch(es)?
  9. M

Upgrading Home Ethernet form 1Gb to 2.5Gb (and 10Gb office)

Hello, this may be an unusually long first post. I've watched the YouTube channel for a few weeks and just joined the forum. Some years ago I ran Cat 6A in my house to future-proof it. Due to a lack of a central network box and conduit to pull through I did several room to room runs and tied...