Search results

1. E

Help with connecting serial port on Supermicro MOBO (H11DSi) to Mellanox switch (SX6036)

I need some guidance on connecting a Mellanox SX6036 switch to the serial port of a Supermicro H11Dsi. My SX6036 is used and did not come with a RJ45-DB9 serial console cable. I bought this one on eBay. However, I have not been able to access the switch. OS: PopOS (Ubuntu 22.04) I tried the...
  2. E

Slow Speeds in Infiniband Mode for ConnectX 3 40Gbe/56GBps

I have two Mellanox ConnectX3 cards connected using Mellonox MC2207130 (56Gb/40Gb FDR) DAC's (no switch). Speed testing on Ubuntu 22.04 in 40Gb Ethernet mode using parallel iperf yields expected results with bandwidth around 32-38 GB/s using 8 processors. However, when testing on Ubuntu in...
  3. E

Help with driver installation for Mellanox ConnectX3 Cards on Ubuntu22.x and PopOs

Hi All, I am having issues installing Linux drivers for Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards on Ubuntu 22.04 and PopOs. Drivers available on the Nvidia site are not supported past Ubuntu 20.04 (see Linux Ethernet Drivers). I found some hints at ways to hack through the old drivers including changing OS...
  4. E

Cooling the Threadripper 3970x: Thelio Major (System 76) vs Fractal Meshify 2 Lite

About a year and half ago I purchased a Thelio Major Linux desktop from System 76 with the Threadripper 3970x (32 cores), 128GB of RAM and the TRX40 Aorus Pro WIFI mobo. I bought this system because System 76 claimed to have developed a new custom air cooling system that could quietly cool the...
  5. E

What CPU VRM temperatures should I stay below for Supermicro H11DSi (Workstation Build)?

I have read several threads on this forum about how CPU VRM temperatures may get out of hand in a full tower workstation case with Supermicro H11DSi especially for high TDP CPUs (e.g. 7f52). A few of these posts recommend for builders to use a 4U chassis instead and just deal with the noise. I...
  6. E

What are your experiences with NEMIX RAM?

Can you share your experiences with NEMIX RAM? I am interesting in learning about your actual experiences not speculation. Please describe your experiences in terms of product quality, performance, shipping quality and customer service. Here is my experience with NEMIX. I have built several...
  7. E

Supermicro H11DSi + 2x7f52 Boot Problems and Spontaneous Restarts

I encountered this issue (see images) when installing a Linux operating system after initial POST on a Supermicro H11DSi with 2x7f52 Epyc processors. POST went fine and the OS loaded but when I tried to reformat and install the OS (Pop-OS) I got the error messages shown in the attached images...
  8. E

Supermicro H11DSi stuck on DXE—CPU Initialization…

Hi All, I switched out Epyc 7302 processors for Epyc 7f52 on a Supermicro H11DSi dual socket mobo and now the system is stuck on the POST screen with DXE—CPU Initialization… in the lower left corner of the screen with the Supermicro logo and number 63 in the lower right corner. All components...
  9. E

Fixing a broken pin on a H11DSi Supermicro motherboard.

Hi All, I am in the process of building 4 dual socket machines using the supermicro H11DSi motherboards and Epyc 7f52 processors. These machine are truly amazing especially considering that the price of used 7f52’s from reputable dealers on eBay is around $330. I have finished 3 of these...
  10. E

Networking Hardware for Parallel Computing on a Small Cluster

Hi All, I recently built several computers for scientific computing and now would like to build a network so parallel calculations can be performed using MPI. My problem is that my current network setup is very slow (see definition of slow below) when running computations using two machines. I...