Search results

1. A

RAID issues with dissimilar speed drives?

NAS model (or DIY)? OS? Hardware / Software RAID? What level? Controller? (multiple)? If there's going to be an issue it's specific to some particular item or combo. In general, no big deal.
  2. A

Help with SFP(+)

Another big reason for 2.5Gb to arrive on motherboards and the like is the advantages of marketing... bigger number better. "Future proof" is not really doable, but fiber is the nearest it gets, not multi-gig capable copper.
  3. A

Help with SFP(+)

10G-T (rj45) switches exist and are in-spec of course.
  4. A

Lots of Optical Drives

That first card's description is confusing but at least the M.2 slots are keyed as I would expect, they're sata only so no. The 585 M.2 adapters won't slot into that card. You'd need a motherboard supporting bifurcation and one of https://a.co/d/0PRkfe0 or similar.
  5. A

Lots of Optical Drives

The JMB575 IS a port multiplier. The 585 is a controller.
  6. A

New Home Server Build : X11SRM-F + Xeon W-2135

In various pages and maybe not up to date (seeing as how X13 is a thing) and also dropping older boards too... https://www.supermicro.com/products/Product_Naming_Convention/Naming_MBD_Intel_UP.cfm
  7. A

Heads Up when upgrading to Proxmox VE 8.2

Please note that the 'recommendation' is more of a requirement if you plan to use the GUI. The thing hated my names and refused to allow settings changes.
  8. A

Linux GPU module/driver juggling for VM/non-VM usage

imho - Makes more sense to have here than in a thread only slightly related. Here you go @parkeston In a single GPU system this will allow you to rip the GPU out from the linux console and attach it to a VM and reverse that. #!/bin/bash set -x video_down () { # unbind VT consoles for...
  9. A

Opinions? X10SDV-TP8F as storage server/NAS

MB10-ES0, unobtainium... There was an embedded epyc board I forgot the name of, found one for like $2800...
  10. A

Recommendations for Small Buisness configuration.

Since you're sort of already 'in the business' try getting a full rack and subletting :D
  11. A

the X10SDV just caught my eye because it's basically what I need, just not as nice as I want
  12. A

The NIC is a good point, so updated OP to either dual SFP+ or +1 PCIe x8. My power bill is complicated, but daaaang not $.50/kwh. Next month it'll even be .06/kwh cheaper. So it's why I don't want to go w/ just a motherboard. I'd be keeping the current system for a different purpose that...
  13. A

Help with SFP(+)

Consider RJ45 transceivers to be an occasional convenience device. They are technically out of spec due to the TDP involved and pretty much only enterprise switches are over-engineered enough to not care since they have lots of reactive cooling. I'd expect any smaller brand switch that doesn't...
  14. A

That's naked. Same setup on a Gigabyte Z590 is known to get down to 16w with the right BIOS settings. The important ones for power are the ones borked in the Asus to the extent that you can set them, save them, reboot... and they're back to disabled without ever hitting an OS. Replacing the...
  15. A

I want to break out storage into its own system to make my life easier. I'm struggling to find a solution that ticks all my boxes. Basically I want a mobo/cpu combo to site in a case I already have, possibly even using the RAM I have. 4+ RAM slots (I have ECC ddr4-2400 32GB sticks) 2+ PCIe...
  16. A

Isn't Proxmox HA just Ceph or shared external storage?
  17. A

The lowest price option I can think of (that's more performance than ceph) is still going to cost money... Home describes how to build your own ZFS cluster w/ dual ported SAS devices sitting in an external disk shelf. You can then do active/active w/ 2 nodes and failover everything to a...
  18. A

The truth about CPU power consumption

You can write a script to detach the vfio driver from the card and attach the appropriate linux driver. I don't know if that's enough because my setup had only the 1 GPU so the console got re-attached to the GPU when I did that, hence it was actually in use by linux afterward. I have the...
  19. A

pcie gen 4 enterprise nvme ssd ~80% price rise questions

Who needs a hunch? https://www.computerweekly.com/news/366577640/Flash-prices-rise-by-25-as-manufacturers-chase-profitability
  20. A

[Need advice] Looking for a cheap server to replace raspberry pi 3b+

The GMKTec stuff is even cheaper via AliExpress. ~$127 for that same config @louie1961 posted.