Search results

1. P

Univention test bed

Finally found the time to order some parts for this build. And then I noticed I forgot the chassis. :S
  2. P

How are you accessing your infrastructure from remote?

Currently I'm using dynv6.com But I think about to open another one to desec.io (as DNSSEC-test bed)
  3. P

One Server to rule them all

Isn't that still proscribed? Afaik there are issues due the SATA tunnel protocol, which lead to nasty misbehavior.
  4. P

Building an ESXi server (1.5/2 k budget)

Look at the OS matrix of the board: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | OS Compatibility Chart X10SDV-TLN4F supports ESXi 5.5 U2. With ~50€ shipping fee you could get it from Sona Ebay might also help.
  5. P

Thermal design comparison: 5019S-L vs. 5018D-FN8T

Hello, I've a question about the fan configuration of supermicro barebones, which I don't understand. For the example I take 2 "almost idententically" products: 5019S-L - E3, 45W and 2xFAN-0106L4 (34dba, 8.500rpm) for an 80w CPU you should use FAN-0147L4 (57.5dba, 17.500rpm) 5018D-FN8T - Xeon...
  6. P

Yet another build / lab

Here you'll find some benchmarks from patrick about the Avoton-/Rangeley line. As you may see, the E3 v3 xeons have better results. Just to keep in mind Rangley is for telecommunication (router, firewall etc) and Avoton for light loads. If the performance is to low, you should go with Xeons...
  7. P

Yet another build / lab

If you've virtualisation in mind and you'll go the Atom line, I'd recommend C2750 over C2758, because of the turbo boost.
  8. P

Intel Xeon D-1587 serverbuild

With some adjustment, sure. The TN7B is about 38 db(A) without tweak (measured 1m away, not with full load) (The room isn't 0 db(A) quite, if the host is powered off)
  9. P

Supermicro 2u fit a double width full length GPU? With riser?

Tried once a consumer card (FF) via riser. Would advice something like this between the card and the board.
  10. P

The 100L4-Fans aren't noisy? I've a 5018A-TN7B with two of them in my bedroom... Keep in mind: The final noise of the unit is determined from the loudest fan. If you've only one, it usually has to produce more air flow -> faster spin -> louder Two of them -> each can run at lower speed -> same...
  11. P

memorysolution.de lists it as shroud for X10SDV in SC504/505 Erm, what? 14W TDP CPU with air shroud? 2x 100L4 fans should do the trick? Or is the environment too hot?
  12. P

As the 65L4 isn't the quietest fan, I'm interessted in db(A) values for idle and load.
  13. P

Supermicro Barebone Server Need Advice

Just some throughts: - Kingston KVR21R15S4/8HA using Hynix H5AN4G4NAFR-TFC DRAM Part. - H5AN4G4NAFR is listed as supported. (but only with another listed manufactorer part #, which is reasonable, because only pure module manufactorers are listed.) - Kingston supports KVR21R15S4/8HA for...
  14. P

Univention test bed

Side note on "resource hungry": I tried to add the openproject feature to my virtualbox image. And got a warning, that there is not enough ram. "needs 1GB, but only 300MB are free" This should help to scale the VMs right.
  15. P

NVMe - Seagate releasing 10GB/s (x16) SSD

A MP setup of 4x 40-Lane-CPUs should do the trick
  16. P

Univention test bed

Did you tried the standard UCS mail server or one of the third party ones? I bet it's less resource hungry than an exchange server. It's for heterogenous systems. I've run a testlab on HPs N54L (Host: OpenMediaVault Hypervisor: Virtualbox) for some weeks now (since the 4.1 Release with Samba...
  17. P

FreeNAS 9.10 Stable

Because 9.10 includes VMXNET3 driver, I tried something like this a short while ago: FreeNAS 9.10 on VMware ESXi 6.0 Guide as 2U SM-build
  18. P

Univention test bed

ok, fixed the thread title.