Search results

1. JohnnyBeGood

Build my own or buy Supermicro?

Hey all, Currently in my homelab I have Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Tower Server System that needs to be moved from office to the garage. It is limited to 32GB of RAM and my love for VMs on XCP-ng is growing :) I will most likely end up with this Wall Mount Server Cabinet. What I'm not sure is if...
  2. JohnnyBeGood

Backup solution to backup VMs in ESXi 6.5 to Backblaze B2?

Hello, My ISP has a data cap so I had to rent server and they have ESXi 6.5 and I have 4 VMs mostly for testing and 1 that is hosting 1 website and community forum. I would like to setup backup just in case something goes wrong I can restore and Backblaze B2 offers the most affordable solution...
  3. JohnnyBeGood

Has anyone got FreeNAS working on VMware ESXi ?

Hi, I have ThinkServer TS140 with xeon CPU and SSD drive and last year I tried IBM 1015 flashed in IT mode to get to work but could not complete it using this guide FreeNAS 9.10 on VMware ESXi 6.0 Guide Has anyone had any luck?
  4. JohnnyBeGood

IBM M1015 - Error: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program

Hi all, I bought this card IBM ServeRaid M1015 46M0861 SAS/SATA PCI-e RAID Controller LSI SAS9220-8i . and followed this guide IBM ServeRAID M1015 Part 4: Cross flashing to a LSI9211-8i in IT or IR mode Specifically this section: "Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IT mode Type in the...
  5. JohnnyBeGood

Passthrough on Lenovo ThinkServer TS140

Hey all, I got Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 with Xeon E3-1225 v3 couple months ago and now got good deal and added maximum of 32GB's ram and I had older Samsung 256GB SSD. Just for testing I installed ESXi 6. My goal is to have mix of VMs and one of them needs to be freeNAS so I can add HDs and...
  6. JohnnyBeGood

Raid Card recommendation for ESXi/Proxmox

Hi all, I got Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 and now I'm thinking to get RAID controller because from what I've read ESXi does not support software RAID that TS140 has. Right now I'm not sure if I will settle with ESXi or Proxmox I guess I will have to test each one and decide. Can someone suggest...
  7. JohnnyBeGood

Low power Linux server

Hi all, I would like to build low power Linux server and install Ubuntu on it. Primary purpose on it to learn about Linux and second one is to store my home Hikvison IP-Camera surveillance footage there and also use for personal picture/video backup. Now I have small Acer Aspire Revo AR1600...