Search results

1. T.Sharp

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Originally I used 0.3mm copper shims with thermal paste, between the CPU and cooler block. Worked just fine and had no issues with sustained Prime95 loads, but I wanted to see if removing the extra thermal interface would improve anything. The janky solution I came up with was to stack a piece...
  2. T.Sharp

Do you have a power meter to see if it's drawing anything? Any parts of the board getting warm when it's plugged in?
  3. T.Sharp

Thanks for checking, looks like you have the V14 bios like Foxtrot. I'm trying to find out if the older i225V models can be updated with that bios, but haven't found any download source or info. I might try messaging the Aliexpress store. A lot of the config settings I listed are optional and...
  4. T.Sharp

Glad it's working well for ya! I just added a link to my config in my signature, so hopefully it's a bit easier for people to find (although it looks like signatures are hidden by default, you can still find it from the "about" section on my profile) Do you happen to know the bios build date of...
  5. T.Sharp

@Iko the benchmark results for the N510x aren't very accurate since it's an average of many devices with varying power limits. With the router boxes, the power limit is unlocked, and all cores can boost to what would typically be the max single core boost clock. The N5100 scores 4400 if it's not...
  6. T.Sharp

Yeah the N5100 is certainly overkill with my current setup, but at $110 for 4x2.5Gb, it didn't make sense to buy an older model. I'm just saying the silicon can handle the heat. Plenty of laptops out there running 90-100c for years without issue, so if you're hitting 70-80c at 100% load, that's...
  7. T.Sharp

I think the cooling issues are a tad overblown, we're looking at temps at 100% sustained load, where I think in many cases (at least mine with basic OPNsense) the average load will be pretty low. Even with the ~0.3mm thermal paste gap on the CPU cooler, I'm sure mine would function just as...
  8. T.Sharp

It looks like there are actually quite a few 12V UPS packs for wifi routers and such. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Backup-Uninterruptible-Supply-Security/dp/B09JBYZ4KQ No idea if this one is any good. For the N51XX and similar boxes, I'd say 3A minimum, and something with 5.5x2.5mm barrel...
  9. T.Sharp

Thanks @skimikes, that's definitely helpful to see. So it looks like there is some limitation imposed by pf/opnsense. Maybe they use different versions of iperf3? Strange that you had retries in opn, I didn't experience that. Also interesting that my N5100 is showing the same 20Gb/s throughput...
  10. T.Sharp

That's interesting. With the N5100 boosting to 2.8GHz, running opnsense bare metal, I'm only seeing ~20Gb/s on the loopback test. I get the same results with or without C3 enabled. I would have expected it to be very close to the N5105. Is proxmox just more efficient at allocating threads /...
  11. T.Sharp

The settings that made the most difference for me, runnning opnsense bare metal : In the bios : PCH-IO > PCIe Config > Root Ports 1,4,5,6,7,8 > ASPM = Auto In the opnsense tunables : hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest = C3 (enables C3 C-states) Then you can also limit the CPU clock speed with P-states. I...
  12. T.Sharp

Glad it worked for you :) I did make a mistake by disabling Energy Efficient Turbo, which disabled P-state control in OPNsense. The CPU would still downclock to 800MHz at idle, but any load would make it boost to the full 2.8GHz even with P-states set to 99. So I re-enabled it and removed that...
  13. T.Sharp

I wouldn't worry too much about the included brick. Mine was from a different seller, but a no-name 4A brick with a fake "Delta" sticker. I ordered a genuine Delta 3A brick (ADP-36PH A) to see if it was any better, but the original PSU was actually more efficient and seemed to be a better...
  14. T.Sharp

Hope everyone is doing well. :) Figured I would post an update of the bios config I'm using with the N5100 box. Running OPNsense bare metal, with a pretty basic config, the idle power is 5.4W from the wall. The board is GF-1338NP-12 version 1.4 (sold by a few stores on Ali, mine came from...
  15. T.Sharp

You're right, I was thinking of the N6000 series. Looking at Passmark benchmarks, there seems to be even less difference in raw performance between the N5105 and J6413.
  16. T.Sharp

The conclusion that Patrick came to in the videos, was that the slight boost in performance may be worth it if you want to run multiple things in a virtual environment, but for a bare metal router or basic VM configs, the N5105 is plenty for most people. Doesn't seem to be worth the price...
  17. T.Sharp

The coupon is 15DEAL for $15 off $100, but it looks like it may be US only for black friday. In the hidden overclocking menu, there appear to be controls for the actual Vcore and a few others like iGPU and secondary rails. It's separate from the FIVR settings as far as I can tell, but I don't...
  18. T.Sharp

From everything I've seen, the Jasper Lake i225 boxes are all using V3/B3 revisions now. The one I linked above does for sure.
  19. T.Sharp

Is there any real advantage to the i226 systems? Apart from just being slightly newer, I haven't seen evidence that they preform better or save enough power to justify the price increase. You can get a barebones N5100 i225 box for $100 with the coupon on the WooYi store. Uses the same mobo as...
  20. T.Sharp

N5100 running opnsense. dev.hwpstate_intel.x.epp = 50 (default) root@OPNsense:~ # iperf3 -s -D && iperf3 -c 127.0.0.1 Connecting to host 127.0.0.1, port 5201 [ 5] local 127.0.0.1 port 32557 connected to 127.0.0.1 port 5201 [ ID] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr Cwnd [ 5]...