Search results

1. SecCon

10 year old Asustor NAS works better with media files than a Windows Server OS on superior hardware ??

I have 2 file shares, one on an Asustor 606-T NAS with SMB3 and one on a Window Server. I have a lot of media files in various formats stored and I have noticed that when playing these from any of the file shares, the NAS is more stable and less prone to lag than the Server. I do not really...
  2. SecCon

Avago Megaraid keeps warning about Enterprise Self Encryption

Software: Avago MegaRaid 17.05.06.00 Windows Server Hardware: LSI RAID 3108 controller. 2 SSD for System drive in Raid 1 9 SAS LFF for storage in 2 Raid Drive Groups, Raid 6 and Raid 5 mixed. 3 SATA LFF in 1 Raid 5 Group, I am in the process of replacing those for SAS as I type this. After...
  3. SecCon

Mixing Sata and SAS drives on a SAS3108 - performance?

Currently running SATA drives only on my Raid controller, but I need to get some new drives and the most viable option is to get SAS drives. While it will be a bit of fiddling around stuff it will also allow me to upgrade the SATA drives on my NAS, moving the SATA drives from the Server to the...
  4. SecCon

Considering replacing RAID Card, getting warnings, help understand them?

I have a Huawei RH2288Hv3 server ( this one) with a mezzanine RAID Card ( this one) based on the SAS 3108 controller. The last few weeks, yeah, just in time for Christmas, I am getting warnings ... I attach an edited log file from dec 1 to today. The Consistency checks do seem to handle...
  5. SecCon

Placing a device as a separate gateway

I do not use my Ubiquiti EdgeMax 6P as Router, but I would like to get it functioning as a separate Gateway. Now I am using IPFire as combined router firewall. When my EdgeMax was routing ( I removed it when changing to IPFire) it was also the Gateway. That is important, because Ubiquiti has...
  6. SecCon

Setting up Active Directory - woes and considerations

I have tried this a couple of times before and failed. But I would like this to work, at least as a small experimental setup with only three desktops and as few "features" as possible to start with. The main reason to even attempt this would be to ensure proper client patching. Last time I...
  7. SecCon

Migration to Sharepoint - some questions

In order to keep some of my files available in a well known platform I am pondering going for Sharepoint Online. I do not want to host anything, I need it to be available to a few others and it should basically be a file catalogue with a few web pages. That is all I think I need for know and...
  8. SecCon

PCIE Addon Card for M2 NVME or SSD drives

Searching for the phrase in the title will render you 3 million plus hits. Most of them from Amazon and Alibaba, I think. The reason I ask is last time I got one of these cards it was for my desktop, and it turned out to not work with an AMD chipset, at all, so this time I figure I better get a...
  9. SecCon

Optimizing a Windows Server and some challenges with Huawei specific items.

I have been running my server RH2288Hv3 2022 for quite some time now and began a clean up of installed random stuff over time, like wsl and some random disk monitoring apps. Using it as a FS and Hyper-V I was wondering what methods you might use to keep it running as smoothly as possible. I do...
  10. SecCon

Rant about stuff that don't do as I would like them to... storage, backup, docker

I apologize in advance. It may become a very self oriented, narrowminded and illogical thread, assuming someone else wanna participate. I do not feel I am overly incompetent nor inexperienced, after all, I have worked within IT since 2000. Not going to drag a list of what I have done or should...
  11. SecCon

Chasing layers

If this is stupid, just tell me so I can ignore it. I look for a maximum of integration in all solutions. One system that handles what you need without having to add or remove stuff, you just use a functionality, or not. In this I am painfully aware of layers, trying to minimize these, as much...
  12. SecCon

Fedora Server with Cockpit, Docker, Portainer, ZFS, SMB

I am not sure I know what I am doing. Setup Fedora Server 38. Access it with Cockpit-Project ( Cockpit Project — Cockpit Project ). All is well. Setup Docker, with a workaround for Fedora, that works: sudo dnf -y install dnf-plugins-core sudo dnf config-manager \ --add-repo \...
  13. SecCon

Replacing SATA disks with SAS disks while keeping the same RAID?

LSI 3108 controller. I have a 22TB SATA RAID6 with 6 disks on a server and will replace those disks with same size SAS disks, that I have yet to purchase. At the same time I am looking to upgrade my NAS storage with those 6TB SATA drives, taking them from the SAS capable server, and replacing...
  14. SecCon

EU CANCELLED - WTB 6 x 6TB SAS/SATA LFF HDD

I am upgrading my NAS from 4TB disks to 6TB disks for increased capacity and am after 6 disks that could make the cut. Do not care if used or open box or refurbished, as long as they are in working order. I am willing to pay around 300€ for all. Payment via Paypal. 6 disks SAS/SATA 3,5" 6 TB...
  15. SecCon

Previously good drives suddenly reporting wrong sizes

So lets try starting with the basics. It is a LSI 3108 in my Huawei server with space for 14 drives, two of which SFF. I use Avago MSM 17.05.06.00 for all configurations. I had 2 x 3TB Seagate drives confed as RAID1 . Checks out. Had it for a few months. Never a problem. They are on Port 0 and...
  16. SecCon

Rustdesk, remote access to your Network and 'puters - anyone used it?

I stumbled over RustDesk | Open source remote desktop software | The Open Source TeamViewer Alternative that seems to be something worth trying in regards to dialing in to you network from external places, but wanted to check if anyone else has any experience with it? A search on this forum...
  17. SecCon

Got a few drives, which would be best to use?

I am setting up a TrueNAS build and sorting out drives from my shelves trying to decide which would be better to use. I have 12 LFF. 6 of these are reserved for the main file share as RAIDZ2, which will be composed by: WDCWD60EFRX68L 6TB (5,458) WDCWD60EFRX68L 6TB (5,458)...
  18. SecCon

Heating/cooling issues with CPU E3-1585 v5- on the MoBo -X11SSV-M4F?

So I was playing with this server as a testbed for TrueNas Scale when it suddenly hit me with high temps. Not very surprising, since it runs a virtual W10 machine and I gave it as much juice as I could, considering 4 cores and 8 threads. The machine is in this chassi: SC505-203B | Mini-1U |...
  19. SecCon

Proxmox VE and Backup - both?

I was reading the Proxmox documentation but am unable to determine if I need two different servers for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Backup, or if both can work on the same installation on one server? Anyone done this?
  20. SecCon

SOLVED: Help with installation of MSM (17.05.06.00_MSM_Windows) - Java issues

I would like to get MSM running, (storcli64 is well documented, but I rather have an interface where I can see stuff better) but I am failing to get the Java setup right. Tried several times and did some searches here as well, and still not getting it to work with Java OpenWebStart or the...