Search results

1. J

Newbie here setting up OPNsense - Can’t figure out how to assign clients to VLANs

Your access point would need to assign wireless clients to specific VLANs, and for wired clients, your managed Netgear switch would need ports configured as "access" ports on the VLAN in question. With your unmanaged switch, you could put all clients on that switch into the same VLAN. Since it...
  2. J

USFF PC with Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) supply

I've never done it, but I wonder if a PoE 802.3bt splitter (90w output to USB-C) + a USB-C to TinyMiniMicro USB-C power trigger would work...? Something like 90W USB Type-C High Power PoE Splitter - Powering 802.3bt Type 4 PD Devices - Coolgear and...
  3. J

Supermicro X11SPM-TPF (10g sfp+) with silver 4110 in SC847 - ~130w power draw!??

Did you have your D-1518 board in this exact chassis with PSU and fans? How many sticks of RAM? Yes, I'd reduce that down to 1 fan, and 1 stick of RAM.
  4. J

Just created my first Storage Spaces pool and I'm a bit disappointed

Try following Storage Spaces and Slow Parity Performance - Storage Spaces War Stories. Storage Spaces with parity, very slow writes. Solved! is less helpful but talks about the same thing. EDIT: Paste in your powershell commands if you continue to experience slow performance.
  5. J

NAS "Downgrade" Advice

Unfiltered thoughts: Use a power meter and quantify how much each component is contributing. Stay away from AMD if you want lower idle power usage. Use Intel iGPU for transcoding. (Do you need the Tesla P4?). Maybe you should split into 2 systems: do a small Lenovo Tiny (with Intel iGPU) for...
  6. J

Advice on Dropbox replacement for a novice/rookie.

I use Caddy 2 - The Ultimate Server with Automatic HTTPS to reverse proxy self-hosted services. With tcp/80 and tcp/443 forwarded, it provides SSL termination. There's a few options I can think of: You could combine Caddy with something like Authelia - The Single Sign-On Multi-Factor portal...
  7. J

New Intel D3-S4510 - 1.92 TB - 109$ on Amazon

Same drives are here: Intel Data Center SSDs from the same vendor.
  8. J

Amazon: Samsung Pro Plus Micro SD 512GB - $34.99

Others have already said what I was going to say. I'll just add: if I have an SBC like an rpi, I generally don't want to deal with an sdcard failure. If anyone is looking to use this sdcard as an OS drive, I just wanted to suggest that a Swissbit card (where I'm using the sdcard the way it was...
  9. J

Amazon: Samsung Pro Plus Micro SD 512GB - $34.99

I've also been using Swissbit cards. https://www.mouser.com/c/embedded-solutions/memory-data-storage/memory-modules-memory-cards/memory-cards/?q=microsd&nand%20flash%20technology=3D%20PSLC&product=MicroSD%20Cards I've had far too many Samsung and Sandisk failures.
  10. J

Idea for a guide: Tiny PCs that can work with KVM switches?

My apologies. I meant: I would do the PiKVM exactly as you described, then find a way (perhaps via an IP-controlled powerbar) to powercycle the box as needed. But I would use some other remote control software, and only the PiKVM if stuff goes really wrong. I have a similar set up and similar...
  11. J

Idea for a guide: Tiny PCs that can work with KVM switches?

I would do an IP controlled powerbar/outlet instead, so you can cut power to the box entirely. Ensure the BIOS is set to auto-power-on after power loss.
  12. J

Cisco WS-C3850-24XU Alternatives

Not sure they're better priced but I've snagged some of these Ruckus in the past from eBay. icx7150-48zp icx7450-32zp for around US$300 (has 8x2.5Gbps with PoE, 24x1Gbps with PoE and you can use some 4x10Gbps modules for more 10Gbps RJ-45 ports with no PoE) icx7550-24zp for around US $1225...
  13. J

Mellanox Switches - Tips & Tricks

@Maddox Awesome, that's helpful. EDIT: Model: StorFly VSFBM4XC Rev: -000 So I assume I'm not affected. Just for my own edification: Where's the "known procedure for SN2700" recovery guide for OTG?
  14. J

Cool. Will do. Anyone have SN2100 replacement drive recommendations? I don't have the switch here and can't tell if it's a 2280 or another size disk. Is the StorFly also unreliable/problematic? (I bought this unit used and have no warranty coverage) I guess I'll check the size from whatever...
  15. J

Indeed -- but the SN2100 is m.2 SATA right? Do you know if it's 2280? Anyone used an SSD that fits in the SN2100? What did you use?
  16. J

The switch is currently working. I'm concerned that if I power cycle it.... it might not.
  17. J

I've got an SN2100 deployed in a datacenter. Is there a way I can tell what SSD is inside, remotely? If I'm willing to pre-purchase an SSD, which model should I purchase? Is this a 2280 m.2 SATA? Assuming the drive isn't dead, if I'm able to pop it into suitable enclosure, what command do I use...
  18. J

SFP28 Home Lab (quiet) switch options

Could you clarify: How many ports do you need? What's a noise range you're considering when you say "quiet"? :)
  19. J

Switch: Mikrotik vs Aruba Instant On ?

Brocade 6450s are popular on this forum. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx-series-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/ Would an icx6450-48 or icx6450-24 (both non-PoE) be in your budget? Where are you located?
  20. J

Supermicro H12DSI-NT6 Troubleshooting

Do you have all 3 power connectors connected? What chassis and PSU are you using?