Search results

1. R

Need some guidance on setting up a personal cloud

you could also try turnkey owncloud, not much setup or linux knowledge needed. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  2. R

how to power second CPU

not enough wire to try to solder a cable, maybe if i take the psu apart it could be done. for now i went with a 2molex to eps short cable, it works, but i didnt stress the cpus, so no idea if there's a chance of melting :) Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  3. R

how to power second CPU

Hello, I recently purchased a 3U chassis made by AIC ( RSC-3EH Specification ) I was prebuilt using a tyan single CPU motherboard, and i want to use an S2600CP2 motherboard instead, with 2x E5 xeons. The problem is that the previous owner actually cut all "unnecessary" cables from the PSU, it...
  4. R

Trace Bandwidth Spikes

i'm using a nice piece of graphing tool called bandwidthd. Altough a bit old, it does a great job graphing the total traffic that goes to ~4000 ip addresses(500-2000 mbps), and not putting a strain on cpus. You could put it to monitor all packets that go trough an interface. It might give you a...
  5. R

Dell R410 SAS 6/IR flashing card to LSI

that appears to be the same modular raid card that works on dell m1000e blades, you can find h200 and h700 for that slot. the h200, which has dell p/n x905n can work does passtrough/jbod mode. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  6. R

Can't migrate VMs in clustered ProxMox

i'm guessing your issue is with the error message" found stale volume copy" on node "pve2". can you list the zvols on node2? Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  7. R

NFS storage for proxmox

OK, I'll go with a pool of mirrors then. Thank you very much. Any other recommendations given my hardware? 64 GB ram, 16 GB ZIL, 2x160GB L2arc, 6 TB pool. Anything looks off here?
  8. R

NFS storage for proxmox

So basically, even if the zfs pool will store large (50-100GB) qcow files, the access pattern is still considered random?
  9. R

NFS storage for proxmox

Comming back to this The storage box is almost finished It's config is dual L5630, 64 G ram LSI 9211-8i HBA 2x240GB Samsung SM863 OP'd to 200G 12 x (assortment of 1 TB Constellation ES and HGST enterprise drives, all SATA) I've done some testing, but haven't made up my mind how to configure...
  10. R

Need some more help from a Linux Guru

ever wrote an iso image to a cd/dvd? it's the same concept. by using dd you write the contents of the zImage file directly to the sdb disk. in your specific case, you probably download that zImage file from somewhere, an you put it in a folder, let's say /home/fritz/zImage then you do dd...
  11. R

FreeNAS Guide Build

You're not the only one :) Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  12. R

10g Finding Bottleneck

did you set jumbo frames on all devices involved, virtual and physical? nics, vswitches etc? i'm not sure how much your setup would be affected by fragmentation, in my case the impact was nowhere this big (basically had jumbo set on all except a physical switch, and iperf results were just a bit...
  13. R

NFS storage for proxmox

plenty of ports available, basically 6 from the motherboard(which might be sata2 only) and 4 from the second sas port of the hba. Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
  14. R

NFS storage for proxmox

Hello, I've recently purchased a Dell M1000e blade system, that i'm planning to use for proxmox vms. I want to use an external box as storage, connected to the blade using 10G networking. The box in question is an Intel chassis with 12x3.5 drives that i had used previously as a freenas box, but...
  15. R

E5-2428L vs L5640 power consumption

I meant moving from 5640 to 5630, if power it's all that matters. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  16. R

E5-2428L vs L5640 power consumption

You probably mean L5640, as L5630 is actually 4C 8T, 40W. From a pure power consumption point of view, if you dont need the extra performance, you can downgrade. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  17. R

How a very large ZFS pools configured ?

You gotta admin T_Minus, i would make an interesting marketing idea. Manufacture defects are a real thing, and you could say that one could manifest at the same time on 2 devices from the same production batch. But it's a general thing, and definitely does not apply only to SSD's, actually i...
  18. R

How a very large ZFS pools configured ?

my first freenas box was built with 12 x1TB in raidz1, and it ran for 1+ year, surviving 2 disk failures/rebuilds during that time (not simultaneously ofc). After it saved my ass a few times, i rebuilt it with 2 raidz1 vdevs on 8 x2TB drives, but this time using a supported HBA, that actually...
  19. R

Daily use CPU advice

Do you have a target price? A bit more expensive, but L5640 is an excelent cpu.
  20. R

Lsi ibbu07 - Altering hex code to replace defective battery and replacing Ibm5015 heatsink

Two died in the last year. They were replaced under warranty, because that's how the server was bought. So i'm guessing instead of admitting they did a bad job at building the server, they simply changed the whole bbu.