Search results

1. bryan_v

SX6036 Free Gateway License (also for HP versions?)

Apparently Nvidia made the Gateway License free for since MLXOS 3.4.3002, has anyone tried to upgrade an unlicensed SX6036 to see if this is true, and whether this applies to HP branded switches as well? I checked the HP support website, and the newest FW is from 2019 and upgrades to...
  2. bryan_v

[FS][CAN-ON] AWS Xeon 8124M Build / 4TB P4510 SSDs / 40Gbe Switch and more...

Finally getting around to a lab cleanout. Shipping to CAN/US included Xeon 8124M Server Timestamps - $750 USD / $980 CAD SHIPPED (Case, PSU, and feline PM not included) Intel Xeon Platinum 8124m 18c / 36t @ 3.0GHz (Xeon Platinum 8124M - Intel - WikiChip) 96 GB DDR4-2666 Low Profile ECC RDIMM...
  3. bryan_v

[FS] 3x Wifi6 4x4 TP-Link AP with 2.5GbE PoE uplink - $175/unit

Selling my sealed 3 TP-Link EAP660 HD Access Points. Never ended up installing them and moving to a smaller house. Price: $175 USD SHIPPED per unit (or pickup in Downtown Toronto) Power: PoE or included AC Adapter Uplink: 2.5 GbE Antennas: 4x4 Standard: 802.11ax Business/Enterprise Grade More...
  4. bryan_v

[W][US/CAN] 6x 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC RAM

Quick question, does anyone have some spare 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC RAM modules they would be willing to sell me? Shipping to either Toronto, Canada, or Niagara Falls, NY
  5. bryan_v

[WTB][CAN/US] 1U SFF LGA2011-3 Server & x16 PCIe NVMe quad-port card

I'm looking for a few things: 1) At least one NVMe add in card for an x16 port, either 4 Mini SAS HD or 4 Occulink. Run is short and at PCIe Gen3 so a redriver is fine. 2) at least 2 short depth LGA2011-3 UP servers capable of supporting at least 2 x16 PCIe cards. CPU/RAM preferable but not...
  6. bryan_v

PCIe Gen3 vs PCIe Gen4 NVMe drives (besides link speed)

Quick question: has anyone done any regression testing to see how PCIe Gen4 NVMe enterprise drives (e.g. CD6/CM6, P5510, etc...) perform on a Gen3 link vs a Gen3 Drive with a Gen3 link? Looking at the drive specs, it looks like there should be a significant improvement in sequential write...
  7. bryan_v

[SOLD][CAN/US]3x APU4D2 pfsense router appliances

UPDATE: ALL SOLD Selling my fully assembled 3x APU4D2 pfsense/router appliances from PCEngines, originally supposed to be part of an office deployment that never happened. Top line specs are: 1 GHz quad core AMD GX-412TC CPU 4x Gigabit Ethernet i211AT LAN 2 GB DDR3-1333 DRAM 16GB mSATA SSD...
  8. bryan_v

[WTB][US/CAN] Xeon E5 v4 high clock Broadwell CPU

Hi All, I'm looking for a Broadwell Xeon E5 CPU with a high boost clock and at least 8 cores to go inside an ASUS x99-WS/IPMI board. They should be (based on Intel Ark): E5-1680 v4 8C/16T E5-1660 v4 8C/16T E5-2667 v4 8C/16T E5-2640 v4 10C/20T E5-2680 v4 14C/28T E5-2690 v4 14C/28T E5-2695 v4...
  9. bryan_v

Juniper LX4 optics & Mellanox CX3/SX6036 compatibility

Quick question: Has anyone had any success with 40G LX4 transceivers in Mellanox CX3 cards and SX6036 switches (specifically Juniper QSFP+ 40G LX4 LC transceivers)? I'm about to run optics throughout the house, and MTP/MPO cables are so much more expensive than LC/LC cables for multiple runs...
  10. bryan_v

[WTB][CAN-ON] 4x U.2 Gen3 NVMe SSDs (P4510?)

Hi all, looking for 2 or 4 Gen3 NVMe SSDs, ideally U.2, but M.2 is fine also - thinking P4510? Need a matching set, either in 1TB, 2TB, 4TB ~85-90USD/TB + shipping (for enterprise, less for consumer drives). Shipping is to Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5A. Shipping label can be provided...
  11. bryan_v

[WTB][US/CAN]ConnectX-3 QSFP+ and SFP+ cards w/ETH mode + Intel 10GbE NIC

Hi All, Looking to grab a few things for the network as part of the house renovations: At least two (2) QSFP+ Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual-port cards with ETH mode enabled (FCBT or FCCT) At least one (1) SFP+ Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual-port card with ETH mode enabled At least two (2) QSFP+ to SFP+...
  12. bryan_v

SSD NAS - Broadwell/Haswell vs Rome - Sanity check?

Hey everyone, Need a quick sanity check, or maybe a math check: Which would be more cost effective platform for a SOHO SSD NAS/SAN attached to a 10G/40G switch via a Mellanox CX3: a used Broadwell platform with PCIe Gen3 drives (e.g. Intel P4510 or 905p, or Samsung 970 Evo Plus); or a used...
  13. bryan_v

Megathread to track Hyperscaler liquidations

Hey Everyone, Do we have a megathread to track liquidation events from hyperscalers? I think anything like AWS dumping CPUs and SSDs, or Azure dumping switches might be useful to track somewhere. That way we know when to troll ebay for hardware drops. Cheers, Bryan
  14. bryan_v

Is RoCE v2 worth it?

Hey everyone, I'm trying decide between the Mellanox MCX354A-FCBT and MCX354A-FCCT, the second which supports RoCE v2 and commands a higher price. Has anyone used RoCE v2 and noticed an appreciable improvement either in Quality of Life or performance in a homelab setting? Cheers, Bryan
  15. bryan_v

Accoustics of MSX6036 for homelab

Hi everyone, I'm contemplating getting a Mellanox SX6036 to act as a 40G core switch paired with CX3 QSFP cards for my VM hosts and storage nodes, however I'm concerned with the acoustics of the switch. The data room in my house draws in air from the hallway next to my office, so I've replaced...
  16. bryan_v

HighPoint SSD7540 PCIe 4.0 x16 8-Port M.2 NVMe Card - Thoughts?

Trying to purchase a single HoneyBadger from Liqid is like pulling teeth, and now Highpoint has released an 8-port PCIe4 M.2 Card through normal channels. Has anyone tried out this card, and/or compared it to the HoneyBadger LQD4500? The Liqid devs said they modified the Switch firmware code...
  17. bryan_v

Addition of Layer 3 benchmarks to switch reviews

In shopping for switches for edge locations and I've notice that none of the vendors, except for Mikrotik publish L3 routing benchmarks, and almost all the review sites only test L2 switch performance. Especially for edge locations, Inter-VLAN routing and static routes are the most important...
  18. bryan_v

How to change profile pic on forum

Quick question, how do you add a profile picture on the STH forums. I seem to only be able to set the cover background. Cheers, Bryan
  19. bryan_v

768 Arm Cores in 2U @650W - XSLAB

From a new Korean startup call XSLAB (I think). Product page: XSLAB (Initially loads in Korean, but you can change to English at the top) Their demo just popped up in my youtube feed, and I'm trying to get more info from the company, though my Korean is virtually non-existant (I can pretty much...
  20. bryan_v

Any 1U EDSFF 32x E1.S chassis on the horizon?

Has anyone heard rumblings of, or seen at a conference, a 1U EDSFF 32x E1.S chassis, or at least one as an AMD barebones? Both the Inspur and Supermicro systems are both Intel, and paying a dual-Xeon tax just for an EDSFF based system just seems silly when a single EPYC 7002/3 CPU can handle...