Search results

1. R

EXPIRED E12EBD (SAS3 Controller module) for Xyratex enclosures $78 shipped

Just to make certain I'm not confused about any of this. The smarts for this shelf are in the controller. Buy two of these controllers and that shelf, 3D print some caddies, and you will have a 12GB SAS shelf? What is the cable type that is used to connect these to an LSI SAS2308? It is hard...
  2. R

ICX6610, 40Gb, 100Gb, LC - LC

Thank you for the Mellanox nics link. I knew it had to be here on the forum somewhere, but couldn't come up with the right key words. And thank you for the ESXi 8 heads up. I was playing around with VMware at one point, but the hardware support was so picky it lost its use-case. Though I...
  3. R

Thank you all. I just pulled the trigger on: Mellanox CX354A MCX354A-FCBT ConnectX-3 40GbE Dual-Port Server HBA High Profile Mellanox CX354A MCX354A-FCBT ConnectX-3 40GbE Dual-Port Server HBA High Profile | eBay OS2 LC to LC Fiber Optical Patch Cable Single mode Duplex LSZH, 30 meters OS2...
  4. R

As for the ConnectX-3 there are so many different versions. Is it better to get a CX353A, a CB194A, or something different? Thank you, thank you.
  5. R

The ConnectX-4 @ $200+ vs ConnectX-3 @ $50 is a big enough difference. Since my switch won't support it, it doesn't seem worth it until I'm ready to get a new switch. Should this cable be fine: OS2 LC to LC Fiber Optical Patch Cable Single mode Duplex LSZH, 30 meters | eBay ? With the...
  6. R

Thank you for the OS2. Right! I wish there was a way for me to use these QSFP28.
  7. R

Thank you. The prices on those transceivers is great. I was hoping to only do the fiber pull once. Is there an LC-LC SMF that will support both 40G and 100G (obviously not at the same time)? Thank you.
  8. R

Ok. I've seen clearly that spending time and money trying to get 10Gb+ running over a ~20M CAT6 cable run is just $$$ and not nearly as good as just running a fiber. It looks like I can get 40Gb+ for the same price as 10Gb, using fiber. My main switch is a Brocade ICX6610-48P. (Thanks to...
  9. R

EXPIRED [IL] !!ALL GONE!! $150 Mellanox ConnectX-4 CX416A-CCAT Dual Port 2x 100GBit Ethernet

It looks like they have these back in stock. https://www.ebay.com/itm/165643860382 Same link.
  10. R

ICX6610 40gbe breakout port to 40gbe NIC

I'm trying to do this same thing. What QSFP+ transceivers are you using? Is there an LC - LC version? From what I read about MPO, it seems a little overkill for this and much pricier. The XL710-QDA1 is a little pricey. Is that my only option for 40Gb using the bonded channels needed by...
  11. R

Home Server (Plex, file storage, sync, etc) Need some advice

Have you tried running storcli.exe for Windows? It is command line, but very powerful. You can manage all of the settings for the RAID controller using it, while you are in Windows. This link might work: Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything If not, try this one: Support Documents and...
  12. R

DIY server build - MB/CPU recommendations?

I'm running Linux on it. I didn't try Windows.
  13. R

Masking the pins worked on the X370 (Gigabyte AX370GamingK7 ). That will do the job nicely. Thank you very much.
  14. R

I tried both/all of the x16 slots. It just isn't seen. I don't need to boot from it, but I do need to see the disks. I don't know why it doesn't show up either. If there is a way to make it show up, all the better.
  15. R

Right now I'm running a Dell R910. It is wonderful, though a little large and power hungry. And it keeps getting slower (comparatively). I'm trying to find a MB/CPU that will support at least: 1) LSI SAS 9206-16e 2) LSI 9211-8i (flashed M1115) 3) 10Gb DAC I tried the 9206-16e in a couple...
  16. R

ICX6610 QSFP+ breakout link Issues

This was originally posted in the mega-thread (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx-series-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/page-300) if you are finding this from an internet search, great info there, but no responses to this issue/questions. Questions...
  17. R

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I can't wait for the surprise. I love this thread. I now have two ICX-6610, one of the Dell Networking Cable QSFP+ 40GBE - 4X SFP+ 10GBE 3M 27GG5 cables. All of the licenses are good and both units are online. The Dell cable works fine between the two ICX6610, but I'm having problems getting...