Search results

1. R

More shady stuff from pfsense

I wonder how many people will upload SSH Keys and certificates as part of their config to that service :eek:
  2. R

Let’s all Pause for a moment and Consider the state of pfsense

My post was a more general reply and not focused at you personally in any way, but I can understand why it might seem that way. But rest assured, that is not the case, I wasn't trying to indirectly imply anything. Just replying in a general sense :).
  3. R

Let’s all Pause for a moment and Consider the state of pfsense

I've used PFSene for about 11 years (home user). It does what it needs to do, and it does it well. I run a Netgate appliance and have had PFsense Plus since it's been available. So, in that regard, the changes don't change anything concerning my deployment. I've always been pro-open-source, and...
  4. R

More shady stuff from pfsense

I've had a look at VyOS and been playing around with it for a few days. It gives off a clean appeal without all the moving parts of a webgui - I like it. It seems more polished and well maintained than both PFSense and OPNSense. However it's a bit of an uphill battle learning a CLI while trying...
  5. R

Purchase of older 10GbE NIC X540-T1 on Ebay

Thanks everyone. I’ve picked up a few and a cheap X550-T2 which covers my 3 servers and my workstation. I’ve got CAT6A in the walls so i’m good to go. All i’m missing is a switch with layer 3 routing (or maybe VyOs on Proxmox?) I’ve been looking at the Unifi Enterprise XG 24 (24x 10GbE + 2x...
  6. R

Thanks for the feedback. Good to get a 2nd oppinion
  7. R

Hi, I’m not sure if this type of post is allowed, but i’ll ask anyway. I need another 10GbE NIC and found these rather cheap X540-T1 NICs on ebay...
  8. R

Refreshing core of a 2016 Broadwell server

Sometimes you just need to get your thoughts on paper, so someone else can point you in the right direction :). I got blinded by not having NVMe on the motherboard and not having PCIe 4.0 connectivity. But obviously I have globs of PCIe slots, so I can make use of them. PCIe 4.0 is fast, but...
  9. R

Refreshing core of a 2016 Broadwell server

Hi all, I have had this server since 2016, with the only addition being a cheap 2nd hand Intel Xeon E5-2697A V4. I'm looking at refreshing this machine with a new Motherboard, CPU and RAM (storage at a later date) to get onto a modern platform as well as opening up options for more modern...