Search results

1. tinfoil3d

[FS] Lenovo Tiny 10/25G Network Fan Shrouds

Actually use 354 in several different models and generations of tiny with no cooling lol. This is great and I believe the main use is rather cooling an NVMEs on the back side than NIC that by now goes for 20 bucks. And they don't die. In one setup I have 354 with two arista QSFP-40G-UNIV these...
  2. tinfoil3d

[JP-lock?] [Freebies] 15-month norton key for free

I've no business using antivirus software on linux, just got this for free in a retail store, if anyone wants the key, first person to post here gets it in PM. IDK if this is restricting activation to japanese IPs or japanese locale devices only, YMMV
  3. tinfoil3d

Recommendations for Small Buisness configuration.

The only inrush issues i've had was luckily a simple inability of single 500W PSU to start 28 HDDs. What drives those were, Patrick? And what was the likely cause?
  4. tinfoil3d

Are Layer 3 managed switches already so cheap?Crazy

Yea, this is spam account.
  5. tinfoil3d

EXPIRED Neat GPS clock SFP module - $20

very interesting, can you get root shell on it?
  6. tinfoil3d

[SOLVED] HDMI-over-IP/HDBaseT-over-IP? Anyone can share experience?

I have a bunch of cheap chinese AOCs boguth second-hand, they are 10 to 15m long here, they serve rather different purpose of decoupling an expensive computer that is only connected with copper wire to the online UPS from display that is connected directly to ground power, the thunderstorms here...
  7. tinfoil3d

[SOLVED] HDMI-over-IP/HDBaseT-over-IP? Anyone can share experience?

Im revisiting my own thread to share some experience using fiber extenders. I've connected two locations with fiber trunks terminated with MPO. Thos go to fiber patch panels, converted to LC, and in general I now use various gefen extenders, I scored 2k60fps and even 4k60fps for ~100 bucks per...
  8. tinfoil3d

[JP yahoo auctions] NOT SPECIFIC DEAL switches, firewalls, etc potentially cheap, shipping from JP unknown

yamato only takes intl mail via phone which is ridiculous in 2024 and the reason i've never used it. however they do have somewhat attractive rates and speed vs japan post. im simply using japan post where i can print labels and bring it to the PO. if you mean WITHIN japan, anything works, no...
  9. tinfoil3d

UK FS: Eaton 9135 6000VA UPS

Aren't there two breakers in the UK wiring system, one in form of an actual fuse inside a plug, the other on the mains panel? It's a neat feature, it doesn't look nearly as tidy as US or even EU plugs but it probably saved a lot of lives in the past. Why won't you just convert it from whatever...
  10. tinfoil3d

Power Strip With Individual Power Draw Monitoring?

It doesn't magically enable by-outlet current metering does it. I've 7900 firmware from late 2000s or early 2010s and never bother upgrading. What to upgrade in PDU that's only job is to switch and report status. Didnt know they upgrade it for this long. Fixing security bugs for unsuspecting...
  11. tinfoil3d

[JP yahoo auctions] NOT SPECIFIC DEAL switches, firewalls, etc potentially cheap, shipping from JP unknown

So yeah, fun fact: shipping from US TO japan is cheap, shipping FROM japan to the US is arm and leg. I have no idea what quotes you can get at various forwarding services but for most part dont expect that to be cheap. Im selling ST250v2, which is probably somewhere around 20kg. So that's around...
  12. tinfoil3d

Fibre channel HBA running at slower speed?

Yes they may be in x16 and be x16 devices but in reality downgraded to x1 if you have many other pcie devices. These are pcie gen 2 devices so it truly looks as if one of your systems is overloaded with pcie devices and one of HBAs gets only a single lane, which is 5GT/s, if we remove the...
  13. tinfoil3d

Not a "good deal", I just thought maybe some of you may be interested in a little bit outdated gear for peanuts. Idk what the shipping will look like, and it's all auctions yet i see some items like juni 4200-24t for many weeks untouched now at 1 JPY. Sometimes more interesting units with SFP28...
  14. tinfoil3d

Fibre channel HBA running at slower speed?

Never touched FC. Did you confirm that SFP modules are indeed 8gb? 4gb may also sound like a pcie lanes shortage if you're lucky to be running them in pcie2 age motherboard and they're "downgraded" to single lane. Well they might also be pcie 2.0 devices and downgraded to x1 link due to lack of...
  15. tinfoil3d

Help me pick a raid card

any hardware raid is discouraged in 2024. level1techs recently covered it again on his channel. broke my teeth with it a decade ago, since then hwraid is no-no for me. we have zfs these days, and as for nvme, you're definitely better off using them as they are, any hwraid would very likely be a...
  16. tinfoil3d

Efficient space heating

running PC is resistive heat tho :cool: and with these 12vhpwr you never know where you may end up. ive only ran folding@home for a few days this winter as theres already enough excess heat here this year my rack keeps filling up