Search results

1. F

End of Year NAS Build

Thanks. I think I am going to make my New Year's Resolution to be to look more at the used enterprise equipment. I always get intimidated about the different vendors and models and such.
  2. F

End of Year NAS Build

I didn't think about that. Does the 905P work with AMD? I was a little confused on that. Looking around would the Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 250GB work better as it is PCI Express 4.0, while I think most of the non-DCPMMs Intel's are PCI Express 3.0? But thanks either way. I hadn't...
  3. F

End of Year NAS Build

US based. For right now just files, but I wanted to have options for more advanced stuff in the future. New parts, but I will look at the used drive recommendation below. It will be in an isolated area. Not at this time. I am used to just using a USB flash drive, so this will be quite an...
  4. F

End of Year NAS Build

Looking at building a new NAS server for 2021. I looked through the forum and this seems like it should work. Build Name: 2021 in with the new NAS Server Operating System/ Storage Platform: Debian/ZFS CPU: AMD EPYC 7232p Motherboard: Supermicro H12SSL-C Case: SuperChassis 836BE1C-R1K23B...
  5. F

ASUS P9A-I/C2550/SAS/4L

Looks like (link) the BIOS has finally been updated to version 0301. P9A-I Series Formal BIOS 0301 release 1. Add beep function for VGA and DIMM. 2. Updated ASPEED VBIOS version to 0.97.06. 3. Improve the compatibility of PIKE II 3008. *MUST use "Bupdater 1.30" to update BIOS from version 0206...
  6. F

Power Supplies and (Internal) Power Cables

Thanks. From another search I found this. It appears that to get the exact OEM SeaSonic cables you have to go through specific suppliers. I will probably just get the Sata Y cable, but incase anyone else is interested. -fastmachine
  7. F

ASUS P9A-I/C2550/SAS/4L

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on this board. Does it seem like it would work for ZFS on Linux without virtualization? I need to build a machine soon and I agree (or maybe just home) that support will come in the next month or two for virtualized support. (Sorry if I miss read a post...
  8. F

Power Supplies and (Internal) Power Cables

I am very slowly moving forward with a ZFS box running 5 or 6 drives, but am getting a little confused about how advanced power supplies work. I was looking at getting something like this: SeaSonic 550W ATX12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular It seems to come with 6 SATA power cables, which is...