Search results

1. T

HP T730 Thin Client low perf on Proxmox

Yes, that's exactly how it's setup. All my NIC's are setup as VirtIO, but I wasn't sure if it caused any harm to include iommu in Grub and since I have seen all of your configs include it, I included it. Here is what my command line look like: root@proxmox:~# cat /proc/cmdline...
  2. T

HP T730 Thin Client low perf on Proxmox

I am seeing a bit of a strange behavior - by default my CPU was set to "performance" and CPU frequency never went about 1.4 ghz (cpupower monitor) when running stress, but I switched the CPU mode to "ondemand" and the frequency went up to 3 to 3.2 ghz range. I switched it back to "performance"...
  3. T

HP t730 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade

UPDATE: managed to get it working - changed settings in settings -> advanced -> misc. I had to restart after that for it to be enabled. is there anything specific that needs to be done to enable AES-NI in pfsense? In the dashboard page of pfsense, it shows "AES-NI Cpu Crypto: No"
  4. T

lol - yes, when I grep lscpu, it does return svm as one of the flags, so I am guessing I am good on that front. Thanks again for all the help folks!
  5. T

I was able to virtualize and run pfsense on my T730 - yay! have a question - I have 3 gigabit lan cables that I split my WAN connection with. Most pfsense guides describe 1 wan and 1 lan connection, but in my case, wouldn't it be better to have 3 lan bridges and 1 wan bridge (via proxmox) so...
  6. T

Oh, I see. Good to know that you are running that many VM's and the machine is chugging along. Is there a quick way of finding out if SVM is disabled or enabled? If it's disabled, does it completely kill the ability to virtualize? I have just installed proxmox and got it up & running. I will...
  7. T

Oh my - this is concerning for sure. v1.15 is safe right? that was the most recent release. got it - not planning on running too many VM's - 2 to 3 at most. Let's see how it goes...
  8. T

Ah, interesting that you are running it native and not using it for any other purpose. I was under the impression that the T730 is powerful enough to be virtualized for other tasks. I am hoping to keep my power consumption on the lower side and also not have high load factors on my CPU after...
  9. T

Got it - thanks much. Is SRIOV possible on proxmox? If it is, this should enable passthrough and fast packet switching is what I have read. Is that accurate? Without this, will the rig still be capable of handling 1 gig ethernet. I plan on having a couple of VM's - one for pfsense, one with...
  10. T

Do you mind posting the custom ESXi image for the T730 with realtek drivers? EDIT: Actually, let me rephrase the question a bit - I am looking to run pfsense in a VM on my T730. Would proxmox be better or ESXi?
  11. T

Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake

Thanks for the confirmation, folks - I too thought that since it's attached to other server hardware, the chances of it being a server pull are high.
  12. T

Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake

After reading through this thread and looking through all the images, I ended up purchasing this item on eBay - Cisco Intel Quad Port Gigabit Network Adapter | eBay Do you folks think this is genuine?
  13. T

Looking for a dual or quad port gigabit NIC for my HP T730 for pfsense

After looking for all the images in the genuine vs. fake thread, I ended up purchasing this item - Cisco Intel Quad Port Gigabit Network Adapter | eBay I am hoping this is a genuine item...
  14. T

This is great - thanks much! I have a network at home that has gigabit cables for 4 floors, so I was looking to have it all go through the t730 as my router (with pfsense). There are multiple WAP's across the floors to manage wifi connectivity. If I were to get a NIC with 2 ports, guessing I...
  15. T

That's one of the options I am considering, but I don't have a local source. I have to depend on online websites, which makes it harder. If there are known online resellers who supply genuine products, would really appreciate any references.
  16. T

Thanks, I have been through thread - it was very informative and I learnt a whole bunch about spotting fakes on eBay, but I am having a hard time finding genuine ones, so if there are known legit sellers, would love to buy from them.
  17. T

EDIT: found one, so ignore the post. I am looking for a dual or quad port NIC for my HP T730 thin client box. I would like for it to be power efficient (so i340 or i350, right?), which is around 5W consumption in addition to the 16W that the T730 will consume. My initial use case will be for...
  18. T

I am looking for a dual or quad port NIC for my HP T730 thin client box. I would like for it to be power efficient (so i340 or i350, right?), which is around 5W consumption in addition to the 16W that the T730 will consume (planning on virtualizing it for other functions). Please suggest on...