Looking for a dual or quad port gigabit NIC for my HP T730 for pfsense

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TheJaguar, Jan 19, 2020.

1. TheJaguar

TheJaguar New Member

I am looking for a dual or quad port NIC for my HP T730 thin client box. I would like for it to be power efficient (so i340 or i350, right?), which is around 5W consumption in addition to the 16W that the T730 will consume (planning on virtualizing it for other functions).

Please suggest on possible options and/or links (ebay?) where I can get a genuine one for cheap - thanks much!

2. loggedinasroot

loggedinasroot New Member

3. tomaash

tomaash Member

I like to use HP NC365T quadport NIC, which has Intel 82580 chipset same as in i340 and is cheap. When buying locally (and used), there's low chance of it being cheap chinese ripoff.

4. TheJaguar

TheJaguar New Member

5. TheJaguar

TheJaguar New Member

That's one of the options I am considering, but I don't have a local source. I have to depend on online websites, which makes it harder. If there are known online resellers who supply genuine products, would really appreciate any references.

6. BeTeP

BeTeP Active Member

I usually do not need more than 2 ports so I prefer Intel E1G42ET. It is slightly older than i340/i350 but it runs cooler. 2.9W vs 4.4W for i350-T2. Intel does not even put a heatsink on it. I frequently see them selling at $10-15 shipped. I have bought couple of dozens of them but yet to see a single fake. I am guessing these are not popular enough.

Here's a listing from a reputable seller
    G174P 0G174P DELL DUAL PORT PCI-E NETWORK INTERFACE CARD RJ-45 SERVER ADAPTER | eBay

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    TheJaguar likes this.
  7. TheJaguar

TheJaguar New Member

This is great - thanks much! I have a network at home that has gigabit cables for 4 floors, so I was looking to have it all go through the t730 as my router (with pfsense). There are multiple WAP's across the floors to manage wifi connectivity.

If I were to get a NIC with 2 ports, guessing I can use a switch to connect the remaining ethernet cables, right? Wan goes into one of the ports and I connect the remaining port to the external switch, which is also connected to the remaining 4 cables. Guessing the only downside is not being able to vlan separately with an unmanaged switch, correct?

8. sash

sash Member

Also look for Broadcom BCM5709 chip cards. They come in different port counts as well. I have several two ports ones. Work out of the box on all major OSes.

9. TheJaguar

TheJaguar New Member