Search results

1. jcl333

WTB: Supermicro x10srh-cf motherboard

Hello all, I lost one of these boards due to a failed BIOS update, so I am wondering if anyone has any they are willing to sell. Thanks -JCL
  2. jcl333

Considerations for large RAID arrays?

Hello, I recently purchased six 22TB WD Red Pro drives, and I am thinking about how to set them up. They replace a power-hungry 12x4TB R6 array. It's a typical Super Micro 16-slot server with a Megaraid 9361-8i, with supercap pack and all software features, OS is Server 2022 datacenter...
  3. jcl333

Cachecade Pro 2.0, still worth using in 2023?

So I have an LSI 9361-8i with Cachecade pro 2.0. I am building a R6 array with 6x WD RED PRO 22TB drives. I have many 400GB enterprise SAS SSDs, write intensive 10 DWPD versions. My backplane is only 6GB/sec, but I could put them on the controller directly. Card is 1GB cache version, so max...
  4. jcl333

Intel DC P4610 6.4TB $335, no brainer?

It looks like others are noticing the same thing that I am, that these 3-5 year old enterprise SSDs are coming down in price. This deal is from Serverpartdeals, who also sells it through their NewEgg store for a bit more. My use case is VMs, my server is PCIe 3.0, and I was about to just get...
  5. jcl333

FS: Broadcom / Avago 9400-16i HBA $200

Hello, I bought one of these new awhile back and never ended up using it. I did hook it up and it worked fine. So, maybe someone else could use it. I can send pics but it is pretty much what you would expect. -JCL
  6. jcl333

9400-16i in IR mode?

Hello, I have this card and was originally going to use it for software defined storage, so I needed an HBA. Now I am looking for just basic RAID to use it in VMware. Is it possible to flash this card to IR mode so that it can do RAID 0/1/10? If so, not seeing where I get that IR firmware...
  7. jcl333

long boot delay with LSI passed through in ESXi

I have a Supermicro server based on a Xeon E5-2698v3, so it's an older 2011-3 from 2014. MB is an X10SEH-CF, onboard HBA (where I put boot and datastores), 128GB RAM, etc. I am using an LSI/Broadcom MR 9361-8i. The system runs great running directly on ESXi using datastores on the RAID...
  8. jcl333

20TB - WD Red Pro, Gold, or Ultrastar?

Here are three listings on Amazon: Western Digital 20TB WD Red Pro NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD - WD201KFGX $419 Western Digital 20TB WD Gold Enterprise Class SATA - WD201KRYZ $525 WD Ultrastar DC HC560 WUH722020ALE6L4 20 TB Hard Drive $377 As far as I can see, all three are the same drive just...
  9. jcl333

Parents of STH - what is/are your solution(s) for Internet management with kids?

Hello all, hopefully this is the best group to post this in. If anyone has a really good forum for this say on Reddit or elsewhere that I should check out, I would really appreciate it. As the title says, I have children who are 10 and 12, and I am looking for ways that I can monitor, protect...
  10. jcl333

LSI 3008 - "Unrecoverable medium error during rebuild", anyone?

Hello, here is my situation. Supermicro x10srh-cf with onboard 3008 flashed to IT mode (FW 16.00.01.00/BIOS 8.37.00.00/EFI 18.00.00.00) 8x HUSMM144CLAR400 SSDs in R10 I create the array, and within a few minutes the background initialization starts throwing these errors. Here it is in LSI...
  11. jcl333

Go-to 120x38MM server case fan?

Hello folks. I am looking for a recommendation on case fans for a tower server. It's a normal type case that holds 12x HDD but the fans it uses are intended for cooler SATA drives, not 7200 eSAS drives. I also have 10Gig NICs and RAID controllers that are expecting a 200CFM server environment...
  12. jcl333

Best price/TB for eSAS drives if you were buying now?

Looking around, there are good deals even on new drives with full warranty. I am looking at 6/12Gig enterprise SAS disks, at least 10TB but maybe more in the 12-16TB range, 18TB+ seems to be where it really jumps up. Mostly interested in new w/5 year warranty type of thing, but if someone has...
  13. jcl333

Formatting to 4096 bytes, does it matter?

I am building an array with a combination of HGST HUSMM1640ASS201 eSSDs and Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB SAS drives. - The SSDs are natively 4096 drives, and will let me format them either way - The spinners are natively 512 (specs list 512, 520, 528) *BUT* it will let me format...
  14. jcl333

"Shucked" drives with hardware RAID?

Hello all, I know that due to firmware issues in regards to recovering from errors that it is a bad idea to put regular consumer drives behind a hardware RAID. As I understand it, the WD_RED drives for example, exist partially because of this, and have RAID-friendly firmware. Now, when it...
  15. jcl333

Anyone used T10-PI? -> UPDATE, IT WORKS!!!!!

Hello, wondering if anyone has used or tried to use this feature, I am having trouble finding enough information on it. I thought this was a feature reserved for commercial SAN vendors or other special applications, but now I am not so sure. I kept seeing to references like needing support all...
  16. jcl333

Looking for TrueNAS - iSCSI - Windows filer advice

Hello all, I posted a question to the TrueNAS forums about this, I got some good replies but I am still not sure I understand. The post(s) is here for reference: Hardware config and iSCSI with Windows - Also some great conceptual talk here: Similar system to iX-3216 WWIX do? - Helpful mainly...
  17. jcl333

Windows not seeing all SAS drives, anyone seen this?

Hello all, thought I would start here because I am pretty sure this is some kind of Windows thing. My Google-fu is not helping me much, too many articles about basic hard disk troubleshooting stuff. Config: SuperMicro X10SRH-CF (onboard LSI 3008) 16-bay SuperMicro chassis with LSI expander...
  18. jcl333

General theoretical networking question, two VMs on same host

Hello, for reference this is regarding iSCSI between a FreeNAS VM and a Server 2019 VM. I can think of a multitude of ways to connect the two to each other, and I was wondering, does it matter? A: vSwitch with no physical interfaces and the two VMs connected with vmxnet3 adapters B: Same as...
  19. jcl333

SR IOV worth it?

Hello, I have never tried to use SR IOV before (I have used pass-through) and I was wondering if it is a good idea, mainly in terms of reliability but also in terms of bang for the buck. My potential use case is iSCSI between a FreeNAS VM and a Windows VM. I could just setup a virtual switch...
  20. jcl333

Anyone have success using T10-PI / 520-byte protection information with LSI RAID?

Hello, I just got some really nice LSI 9361-8i controllers, and I noticed in the software that this controller and the drives I am using support this feature to protect against silent data corruption. Older post here has the sg-format commands to do it...