Search results

1. R

WD Red SSD

Well, hard to say. I've been very paranoid about the data that was on the six drive raidz2. I've been using zfs send/receive every day to another pool as protection. Today is the first day that I've thought I would not have to return the drives. My use case for the WD Red SA500 SSDs is for a...
  2. R

WD Red SSD

I upgraded the LSI 9300-8i BIOS and the firmware to the latest version 16.00.10.00 which was released on October 18th, 2019, and for the first time last night the drives were not kicked out and I saw no signs of errors. The Broadcom file contain firmware version 16.00.10.00 and BIOS version...
  3. R

WD Red SSD

Looks like there may be an issue with the SA500 drives. The drives have been randomly disconnecting. I've opened a support case with Western Digital. The contents of my support case: Running Debian Linux with Kernel 4.9 and ZFS 0.8.2. Have six SA500 2.5" 2TB drives in a raidz2. Have this...
  4. R

WD Red SSD

I only ordered one drive to make sure it supports DRAT and RZAT: WD Red SA500 2TB SSD hdparm results: hdparm -I /dev/sdr /dev/sdr: ATA device, with non-removable media Model Number: WDC WDS200T1R0A-68A4W0 Serial Number: <removed> Firmware...
  5. R

WD Red SSD

Just got a reply back from Western Digital and they said the SA500 supports DRAT and RZAT.
  6. R

SAS3 HBA Trim Support Without DRAT RZAT Requirement

Then maybe it's best to let the deal for the 860 Evo's go for now and see what these new WD SA500 SSDs are like and if they support proper trim behind a LSI card.
  7. R

The six drives are for my system to do testing. Then we'll buy enough to build one full vdev and do more testing. My customer has a ZFS system with 150 spinning platters with 500TB of space in it's pool. The spinning platters cannot keep up with that they are doing. So SSDs are the way to go...
  8. R

That test is interesting. Hopefully the 2TB 860 Evo won't be like that. My end goal is to fully populate a Supermicro 72 drive JBOD for a very cost conscious customer: SC417BE1C-R1K23JBOD | 4U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. with 2TB drives running ZFS with six raidz2 vdevs...
  9. R

Looks like the Samsung 860 Evo supports the required trim commands. It has a higher endurance of 1200 vs 700 for the 2TB Crucial MX500. Five year warranty as well. As a bonus, the drive is the cheapest it's ever been on Amazon right now for $229: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III...
  10. R

I don't mind buying some gear from eBay and I just got a temporary CPU from eBay while waiting for Supermicro to release their new Epyc boards. SSDs have only so much endurance, wouldn't buying used SSDs from eBay be risky? Are there any SAS3 HBAs that do not have the DRAT and RZAT requirement?
  11. R

Well, the Crucial MX500 drives are on their way back to Amazon. To not support DRAT and RZAT in this day in age is just not good. Going to do research and see if the new WD Red SSDs support proper trim.
  12. R

WD Red SSD

Anyone know if the WD Red SSD supports DRAT (deterministic read after trim) and RZAT (read zeros after trim)?
  13. R

I remember the mantra. The mantra from memory, where for issues like endurance, power off protection, garbage collection, and warranty. The MX500 drives finally met the enterprise specs that I was looking for for a price half of the Samsung 883 DCTs. Considering I needed six 2TB drives to...
  14. R

I just upgraded my server to use ZoL .8.x and I filled it with six new Crucial MX500 2TB drives in a raidz2 that are sitting in a Supermicro 36 Drive SAS3 Chassis connected to a LSI 9300-8i (3008 chip) SAS HBA. To my complete surprise, trim does not work. Digging into these threads: Can't...
  15. R

Supermicro Epyc Rome ATX Boards

For a different question, what are the thoughts that the 7402p can be passive cooled? 180 watts is a lot higher than the 80 watts I'm using now. My case Supermicro case (847BE1C-R1K28LPB) has two fans with 2/3rds of the fans exposed blowing into the air shroud to cool the CPU and memory. Is...
  16. R

I went ahead and ordered a Xeon 2650V2 from Ebay for $45. Should hold me over until Supermicro gets their new boards to market. Hopefully when the new boards come out, the Epyc 7402p won't be priced for more then MSRP like it is now.
  17. R

My old Supermicro X9SRL-F with it's Xeon E5-2609V1 needs to be replaced in a bad way. I've been waiting for the new Epyc Rome processors since this time last year. The 7402p is out and I'm ready to buy. Only one hang up in this situation... Where is Supermicro and their Epyc Rome specific...