Supermicro Epyc Rome ATX Boards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ryushin

Nov 7, 2019
My old Supermicro X9SRL-F with it's Xeon E5-2609V1 needs to be replaced in a bad way. I've been waiting for the new Epyc Rome processors since this time last year. The 7402p is out and I'm ready to buy. Only one hang up in this situation... Where is Supermicro and their Epyc Rome specific boards? I know the H11SSL-NC v2.0 will run the new Epyc, but it does not offer all the features a Rome specific board will have.

I've emailed and left a voicemail for Supermicro and those went into a black hole. What is the rumor mill on when Supermicro will release ATX boards for the Rome? Anyone have any contacts at Supermicro to get a scoop?

Just finished adding six Crucial MX500 2TB and another ten 4TB drives to my Devuan ZFS based Supermicro 847BE1C-R1K28LPB 36 drive chassis which is now maxed out. Only problem is that old E5-2609V1 is now the real bottle neck in the system. If it's going to be 2-3 months before Supermicro comes out with a board, I might just have to get a E5-2650V2 from Ebay.

Normally I'm a very patient kind of guy, but I'm getting anxious now.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Two months ago, the rumor was that we’d see standard form factor Supermicro H12 ATX/EATX boards in 6-8 weeks. That period has passed, so who knows at this point. I too am thinking of scrapping my whole planned Epyc build and getting a cheap E5 v3 to hold me over for another year or two. I’m still scratching my head with the lack of coordination between AMD and its system board manufacturers. The chips appear to be slowly trickling out, but non-proprietary boards that support all of the Epyc 7002 features are still practically non-existent, months after the Epyc 7002 announcement!

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
BTW, Epyc 7002 was announced on August 7, 2019, 3 months and a day from today...

charliehorse55

Oct 3, 2019
I'm just hoping that if H12 ATX boards do emerge, they have support for TDPs >250W so that there will be good overclocking headroom. Since AMD announced that 280W part it's not out of the question.

Reactions: TXAG26

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I'm waiting as well. My issue isn't the features but the ability to upgrade to the 7003 series when they come out. I believe the h11 boards use 16MB bios chips which may be too small for all of the processors they release. Or I could be wrong and waiting for nothing.

Reactions: TXAG26

Ryushin

Nov 7, 2019
I went ahead and ordered a Xeon 2650V2 from Ebay for $45. Should hold me over until Supermicro gets their new boards to market. Hopefully when the new boards come out, the Epyc 7402p won't be priced for more then MSRP like it is now.

Ryushin

Nov 7, 2019
For a different question, what are the thoughts that the 7402p can be passive cooled? 180 watts is a lot higher than the 80 watts I'm using now. My case Supermicro case (847BE1C-R1K28LPB) has two fans with 2/3rds of the fans exposed blowing into the air shroud to cool the CPU and memory. Is more air volume recommend with an active 2U cooler such as this with the 7402p:
https://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-A26-Aluminum-Heatsink-Heatpipe/dp/B076W9MLC8

The server will be running under a 100% load for weeks to months at a time. I trust the Supermicro fans to not fail (I've not had a single fan fail in the dozens and dozens of Supermicro cases I've used), but I'm not sure about an aftermarket unit.