Search results

1. G

Anyone dealing with Dbuffed?

An update for anyone who was still interested: I got confirmation of PayPal refunding my money for the transaction. It was initially supposed to be resolved by the 5th but that turned into the 10th which turned into the 18th. It's good that it's been resolved but it was a longer process than it...
  2. G

Still in the claims process with PayPal.
  3. G

HGST 8TB and 10TB. Same as you?
  4. G

I appreciate the bump! Paid PayPal through my CC and not goods or gift so there's at least a modicum of recourse. I'd rather have the deal go through but that's not how things go sometimes.
  5. G

I've been trying to purchase hard drives from @Dbuffed since early November. I've tried getting tracking info numerous times but now it seems I'm being ducked - haven't heard from him since Wednesday where he said I'd have the drives delivered before 3pm that day. Tried to follow up when the...
  6. G

WTB: 8TB/10TB drives in large quantities

I'm speccing out a large storage array. Would love to get to petabyte. I've seen quite a few of the HGST 8 and 10 out there. If someone has a massive qty they want to unload, please get in contact. Thanks!
  7. G

Infiniband setup. Advice needed.

Jon, thanks for the tip! I'd love to see where you got the fiber, if you could link. This is probably the route I'll be going. Thanks again!
  8. G

Thanks for the info! I'll be doing some research now. :)
  9. G

Thanks for the suggestions on cable ends. What type of cable do I need to use? I think QSFP+ uses 4 bi-directional signals but I'm uncertain of the wavelength or even if that's correct. Thanks in advance for the info!
  10. G

Just giving you options. :D Back to IB, has anyone rolled their own cables? I know the transceivers can be cost prohibitive but I'm considering these: Mellanox SSF-8436 QSFP+ * MC2207310 * InfiniBand * Optical Transceiver * Emcore Just need to know what kind of fiber I need to run and if it's...
  11. G

Also, just remembered that Lightworks is free. I checked and it's available for Linux if you want to take it for a spin: Downloads I've never used it but I'm sure it functions much like other NLEs.
  12. G

DaVinci Resolve Studio is largely known as a color grading tool but it also functions as a NLE and is available for Linux. -edit- I mistakenly said the free version was available for Linux.
  13. G

Might also be interesting to see if anyone has implemented SMB Direct/SMB over RDMA: Improve Performance of a File Server with SMB Direct That's the route I was thinking once I had the network up.
  14. G

Wow, 64k jumbo frames would be awesome...
  15. G

Robert, you have it right. It may have been a misnomer to say intra-office as opposed to inter-office. The offices are separate but are within reach of fiber. Each workstation will be processing the same source 4k footage. Each 4k raw frame averages 5MB @ 30 frames per second. In order to...
  16. G

I don't anticipate being able to make full usage of the 40Gbps but it's a nice idea. I'm building out my storage array with SSDs and I want all the nodes to be able to have access to the files on that array. Yes, it's basically a SAN.
  17. G

I was curious about the Quanta setup as well as the LB4M has just 2 sfp ports. Using that config for just the server has some purpose but I'm trying to maximize speed across all nodes, if possible. The idea is to run two separate networks anyway. I don't really want the internal IB network to...
  18. G

Chris, Thanks for the advice! I'd be interested to see links for switches and adapters. Everything I've found is still several times as expensive as an IB setup if I can sort out the cabling.
  19. G

Hello all, I'm interested in setting up an Infiniband network. While I know there are significant hurdles, I'm just so enamored by the possibilities. I'm just getting around to understanding the basics so I'm hoping STH will be kind. I know Infiniband is in decline and 10gbe is probably a...