Search results

1. Z

Affordable Shared Graphic Card for an ESXi (Home Server) installation?

In my experience running an android emulator inside of a VM is excruciatingly slow…I sure wouldn’t want to spend any time at all using such a config. But what you want to do should work. Really no need to “test” it.
  2. Z

Error with SR-IOV on pfSense using x710 NIC

Configuration Details: Intel x710-T4 NIC running NVM firmware 9.4 NOTE: I only just recently upgraded to NVM 9.4; the same behavior happened on the old firmware too (Dell v19.5.0) vSphere 8.0 U2 running the matched i40en driver (2.7.2.0-1OEM.800.1.0.20613240) as per the VMware hardware...
  3. Z

X540 losing connection on receive

I’ll try. Nvmupdate64e doesn’t seem to like the card or the dell firmwares. the card worked 9 months ago. Then I moved out for a home remodel. When I came back it wasn’t working anymore. It was powered off the whole time…
  4. Z

X540 losing connection on receive

I’ve got a quad port silicom x540-t4 nic that seems to work just fine when uploading/sending data but not when receiving data. It’s in a pfsense 2.7.2 box. When it comes up from a fresh boot all the ports are active and working and my clients get dhcp addresses and can ping the router and...
  5. Z

WTB ddr4 udimm 32gb modules

Anyone got non-ecc 32gb ddr4 udimms? I’ve got a desktop raptor lake system for which I’d like more memory…
  6. Z

Bought a used HP z6 g4. Upgrade to w-3245 qs?

I would suggest getting 64gb lrdimms; while you can find 16gb and 32gb dimms for less money, having only 6 dimm slots is a constraint if you ever want to have more than 96gb of ram—ideally you’ll buy memory modules that you don’t have to replace later simply because they’re too small. i don’t...
  7. Z

Home Environment Overhaul Ideas

Your board likely supports cascade lake xeons and optane pmem; if you need more compute—and I don’t think you do—your existing board’s got legs. it’s now technically inferior by 3 generations but it’s still a ton of machine. The biggest drawback to the 3647 xeons is lack of pcie lanes and I...
  8. Z

Home Environment Overhaul Ideas

Why do you need anything other than the datto box? It alone is more horsepower than almost anyone needs. if you need storage just swap the motherboard from the datto server into something with all the drive bays you want—it’s just an E-ATX board. If you really want to go testicles to the wall...
  9. Z

Bought a used HP z6 g4. Upgrade to w-3245 qs?

I’ve seen reports of people running ES and QS processors in the Z6 but have no first hand experience with it. I am currently running an OEM Xeon gold 6268CL with no problems… QS chips should be equivalent to retail chips and the w-3245 is on the official support list from HP so it very likely...
  10. Z

Motherboard/CPU Advice for Simple File Server

Have you done the math on payback period for a (at most) ~70W reduction in power consumption? you’ll spend a pretty penny on new gear…5 cents per kWh where I live means efficiency upgrades don’t pay for themselves. im all for conservation and green energy but especially if you’re buying new...
  11. Z

2024 pfSense Builds

I built a custom box using intel i3 12100…these things have gotten extremely cheap. it’s a full atx board in a regular desktop case I had lying around so it’s not small or pretty, but installed in an unfinished basement I don’t give a shit. mine is virtualized on VMware with pci pass through...
  12. Z

Any cheap reasonable Skylake single or dual cpu MB you can recommend?

Hp z6 g4 supports two cpus your post title explicitly says you are looking for single *or* dual cpu motherboards. hp z6 g4 supports oem processors. I’m using one right now.
  13. Z

Any cheap reasonable Skylake single or dual cpu MB you can recommend?

Hp z6 g4 don’t bother buying a naked motherboard; you need adapters for fans, front panel, power supply, etc.. but if you buy a complete barebones or a low-end working unit they’re a great deal. as long as you don’t need things like ipmi or the ability to edit “server class” bios settings. I...
  14. Z

Switching from i7-4790k to what?

Don’t listen to the above nonsense… you’re coming from 4 cores and 16 pcie lanes and you explicitly said you don’t need better; you just need newer. get a ryzen 5xxx or a 12th gen intel system. They aren’t bleeding edge but that just means they’re cheaper. I built a whole i3 12100 server for...
  15. Z

Help me pick a raid card

If you’re on intel what about vroc?
  16. Z

Looking for ideas on extending storage for home aio ZFS/VM + lower power servers

You could buy used nvme drives. power consumption of an nvme drive at idle isn’t wildly higher than power consumption of a sata ssd. Under load a modern pcie gen 4 or gen 5 drive can chew power but you almost certainly would be juuuuuust fine with pcie gen 3–especially if you were imagining...
  17. Z

From thought to hardware: How do you did it?

On a more serious note if you aren’t made of money you should indeed figure out what you KNOW you need so you don’t waste money on stuff you know won’t meet those needs. for example if you know you need nvme support or sriov support then make sure you buy hardware that’s got it. realistically...
  18. Z

From thought to hardware: How do you did it?

You learn from mistakes. in other words: the more you plan your lab up front the less you learn. in other words: it’s better to have no plan at all, start buying stuff and figure out how best to make it work until it no longer meets your needs. Rinse. Repeat.
  19. Z

Quad 2.5g nic card for pfsense

Can anyone suggest a quad 2.5g card for pfsesne that isn’t made by a no-name Chinese outfit with firmware I don’t trust? only thing I’ve found that seems to be from a reputable manufacturer is qnap but it’s expensive and not clear it’s really supported outside an actual qnap nas. I see 10gtek...