Search results

1. B

Anyone know where to get a deal on silicom cards?

I did a search on the hotlava board which I didn't know about until you pointed it out (thanks again) and found it much cheaper than the silicom card - HotLava St Helens 200G4Q-XL 4-Port QSFP+ 40 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter 100Gbps
  2. B

Thanks - oddly enough that is essentially the same price as the Silicom board. I'm in the US but the dollar amount is about the same.
  3. B

I was hoping to find a deal on a silicom PE31640G4QI71-QS41 on ebay but no luck - it is a quad port 40g nic. I don't know if anyone else makes them but so far other than ordering direct from silicom for retail price, I don't know where to get one.
  4. B

Anyone doing 40g xl710 dac between two computers?

THanks - if you find a quad port one I still need one more.
  5. B

Quad port 40g or 100g nics

I got a couple of 40G xl710 dual ports hooked up with a dac. The cards were $185 each used and the dac was $60 new. I got a price on the PE31640G4QI71 quad port new and it was about $1800. Hopefully someone will eventually be selling one on ebay.
  6. B

OK - so my array finally finished rebuilding. While it is about 70% full, I don't think that will have a huge impact on performance as it is an array, not a single drive. While I got close to these speeds occasionally with SMB with dual port 10g nics on each PC connected with both ports to...
  7. B

For anyone wondering, my curiousity did get the best of me and I bought two used xl710 cards on ebay. I bought a 40g qsfp+ dac with intel supported connectors on each end and managed to get them to talk to each other with no real effort other than installing the card and the drivers and...
  8. B

I would like to know if anyone has tried this yet. I don't see why it wouldn't work but since I've never done it, I'm curious. I'm trying to avoid purchasing a switch even if it was $50, I'm trying to avoid a switch.
  9. B

I started to look at this stuff again - found this - Silicom Ltd. | 40G Networking Server Adapter PE31640G4QI71 It could be $10,000,000 for all I know but it does exist.
  10. B

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion but I really really don't want a switch. Unless someone makes an 8 port fanless 40g or 100g switch that doesn't overheat.
  11. B

There would be for me as I'd want it so I didn't have to do a switch - 1 40g connection to 3 different PCs- direct connect from my main PC. I only typically have 1 active at a time.
  12. B

Anyone know of any quad port 40 or 100g nics besides this one PE31640G4QI71 server adapter? I admit, I've never heard of this company before so I have no idea how their support or quality is. Silicom Ltd. | 40G Networking Server Adapter PE31640G4QI71
  13. B

Questions about 100g networking

Thanks - I wasn't clear - I was thinking about buying the fiber adapter and connecting directly to my nics on my systems - no switch.
  14. B

Questions about 100g networking

Hello, I'm trying to learn about 100g networking. I was thinking about making a direct connect fiber between network cards on different computers - no switch - just direct. I found a fiber fanout that can go from one 100g to two 50g mtp/mpo connect - I've never used anything over 10g RJ45...
  15. B

Looking to go beyond 10g but very cheaply.

I really appreciate everyone's help here - I'm going to start a new thread as I'm wandering all over the place as you try and bring a complete newbie up to speed. Again thanks so much everyone!
  16. B

Thanks - I thought I had half the equation complete with the nics, the 2x AMQ28-SR4-M1 100g transceiver $90x2= $180 and the Karono MPO Female to MPO Female Patch Cord. Doesn't that only leave the two going to the other port on the nic to deal with? I imagine I'll need some tranceiver for the...
  17. B

Thanks for the help! I think I nearly have a solution if anyone has any further suggestions in case I've gone wrong somewhere... 4x MCX456A-ECAT network cards $350x4= $1,400 2x AMQ28-SR4-M1 100g transceiver $90x2= $180 1x Karono MPO Female to MPO Female Patch Cord, 12-core Fibers, TYPE...
  18. B

Thanks!! If you have any links I would greatly appreciate it. I found some Mellanox MCX456A-ECAT nics - no idea what transceiver to get. I'll need some 12' runs. I was thinking I'd like to go fiber just for the heck of it instead of dac. My 2 main systems have i7's, 16Gs, Adaptec 3154...
  19. B

Thanks!!! Can you give a model or link for that switch? If they have more than one ideally I'd get one with no fan although that may not be an option. The ones I'm finding are in the $6000 range so I'm obviously looking in the wrong place.
  20. B

I have no idea what to get at this point. I currently have 10g at home but that isn't enough - my raid controllers are pushing my 10g to the limit when copying between systems (I don't have a switch - I have a single quad port connected to 3 other systems). When I look at throughput on the ports...